HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Turkey dusting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/318944-turkey-dusting.html)

Hoytrocks 03-07-2010 03:47 AM

Turkey dusting

I'm kind of new to the turkey hunting but I have land to hunt now and birds with it and I finally have the first season there....I'm curious about turkeys dusting themselves....I assume this is to get rid of bugs....What time of day do they usually do this and how often? I have about 10 acres of sandy ground that is surrounded by woods with a corn field to the north. I've seen them here but just wondered when I'd expect to see them here?

Adrian J Hare 03-07-2010 03:57 AM

Normaly, turkeys will dust at anytime of the day. Food sorces seem to be an area they will dust right after they eat. Water is important to a wild turkey and most times they will drink first before they do any kind of activity.

As for dusting I would say late morning and early evening seems to be the times I've watched them do it, I really can't say I have followed the same bird around to see if it dusts more then once but I would guess it depends on how bad the feather lice are on that year...

mouthcaller 03-07-2010 04:27 AM

I think it is good to note the locations of dusting sights but, frankly, I've never had any success "hunting" them. I've only seen hens use dusting sights, usually by themselves. I am not saying that this is the norm and should be generalized to everywhere, that is just my observance. While I strongly suspect that gobblers dust themselves during the spring mating period, I have never observed it.

Later in the morning and mid-afternoon are the times I've seen turkeys use dusting sights.

MC

Hoytrocks 03-16-2010 06:20 PM

Thanks for the information.

krabbiepatty 03-17-2010 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by mouthcaller (Post 3590021)
I think it is good to note the locations of dusting sights but, frankly, I've never had any success "hunting" them. I've only seen hens use dusting sights, usually by themselves. I am not saying that this is the norm and should be generalized to everywhere, that is just my observance. While I strongly suspect that gobblers dust themselves during the spring mating period, I have never observed it.

Later in the morning and mid-afternoon are the times I've seen turkeys use dusting sights.

MC

i have only seen hens dust also, you have me curious now as to why this is.

onebigelk 03-17-2010 10:01 PM

Now that you mention it, every turkey I have ever seen dusting has been a hen. Last year a hen dusted on a pond bank just in front of me. She would stop and pick at the bugs/lice that fell off her while dusting, drink at the pond and dust again.

Screamin Steel 03-18-2010 01:55 AM

In my experience, dusting usually takes place later in the day, sometme between 10 am and afternoon. A gobbler in the spring especially, has more on his mind in the morning than taking a bath...although some attention to his hygiene might go a long ways toward success with the ladies! LOL I wouldn't write it off entirely, but muc better to know roost sites, strut zones, feeding areas, etc than banking on a dusting area. Although knowing that hens go there during the day does mean that a gobbbler might be nearby as well later in the day. Good info to have.

charlesdaly 03-18-2010 06:24 AM

I have also heard that a turkey will dust to keep it's scent down in case of predators??? Anyone else ever heard this?