HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Education needed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/318787-education-needed.html)

tourangeaud 03-04-2010 05:05 AM

Education needed

Is this a correct statement? Taken from the Regs from VA.

"When using a shotgun it is unlawful to use or have in possession any shot larger than number 2 fine shot during spring turkey season"

Sheridan 03-04-2010 09:54 AM

Regs are up to each state (and some don't make much sense).

Don't get caught with lead in a steel only zone.

You loose your gun and license, in some states

SwampCollie 03-04-2010 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by tourangeaud (Post 3588404)
Is this a correct statement? Taken from the Regs from VA.

"When using a shotgun it is unlawful to use or have in possession any shot larger than number 2 fine shot during spring turkey season"

Yep. Thats during the spring turkey season here in VA.

Don't know the "why" behind it, but you got it right.

tourangeaud 03-05-2010 03:49 AM

So, my follow up question is this. What size shot should I use for VA spring gobbler? I need to shoot this shot prior to the season.

Screamin Steel 03-05-2010 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by SwampCollie (Post 3588669)
Yep. Thats during the spring turkey season here in VA.

Don't know the "why" behind it, but you got it right.

PA has a similar regulation, but no larger than no 4 lead or no2 steel. I belive the new hevi style of tungseten shot are also limited to #4 here in PA. I believe the initial logic behind it was to reduce hunter mortality as it was institiuted during a period of high accidental shooting rates. You have a much better chance surviving a load of #4 or smaller than with the large shot which will much more easily penetrate your vitals, esp at loner distcnaces, which I belive is where most of the shootings were hapenning (30 yards and beyond.) Not sure if I am 100% correct, but I believe that was the general idea behind those regulations. AS for the corect shot size, #2 would be a bad choice anyway...not a whole lot of pellets in that load, and we should always strive to shoot our birds in the head or neck, not the body, where the larger shot would have its only advantage. You'll find the most common choice of experienced turkey hunters is #4,5, or 6 shot....or the #7 in the heavyweight loads, as they hit like a #5 lead with alot more pellets. If you got the extra $ the Hevishot style loads can be some reallly good loads. If not, you can most assuredly kill turkeys to 40 yds with a standard 3" or 3 1/2" turkey load that's a lot easier on the wallet. What you want is a nice uniform pattern that centers where you aim. You'll probably want a turkey gun with interchangeable choke tubes and adjustable sights. Start off shooting at large sheets of paper or cardboard, regardless of where its hitting you just want a nice uniform pattern. Then try to find a load that still gives the uniformity (no big gaps) and puts the most pellets into a ten inch circle at 40 yds. That's your winner. Then adjust your sights and your ready for battle. It can be more involved than that, but it doesn't have to be. Take a Saturday and my guess is you'll find a load of #4,5,or 6 that gives you a pretty nice pattern. Good luck!

tourangeaud 03-05-2010 04:20 AM

Screamin,

Thanks for your insight.

What confuses me is the comment of nothing larger then #2 fine shot. Question: 4s,5s or 6s are not larger then #2fine shot?

Please don't rip me a new one, for such a stupid question. I'm just looking for guidance and education on shot size and our VA rules and regs. Plus I can't afford to be non compliant in the field.

Adrian J Hare 03-05-2010 05:07 AM

Stick with #5-6 and you should be good anywhere. Ontario is also 4-5-6 only so everyone knows and it kills birds...

Screamin Steel 03-05-2010 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by tourangeaud (Post 3588977)
Screamin,

Thanks for your insight.

What confuses me is the comment of nothing larger then #2 fine shot. Question: 4s,5s or 6s are not larger then #2fine shot?

Please don't rip me a new one, for such a stupid question. I'm just looking for guidance and education on shot size and our VA rules and regs. Plus I can't afford to be non compliant in the field.

LOL No such thing as dumb questions! The terminology is to distinguish between no. 2 buck shot and no.2 birdshot or fine shot. No. 2 buck is way bigger than #2 bird shot. Standard birdshot sizes get smaller as the number gets larger. Your largest would be the BB and T's used by waterfowlers for knocking down geese at long range. Then you get into the common numbers like #2, #4, #5, #6, #7, #7 1/2, #8, #9. You really should stay away from shot smaller than 6's or the hevishot style #7's for turkey hunting. They just lack the weight to maintain killing energy/ penetration. A good starting point I'll give you is the Winchester Supreme Turkey load. The 3 inch shell in 1 3/4 oz of #5 shot. (I'm assuming you probably don't have a 3 1/2" gun if you're new to turkey hunting, but if you did I'd reccomend the same load in 3 1/2' 2 oz. of #5.) They won't break the bank, and they tend to shoot well in a lot of guns. Give us some more info on your gun and your choke, and a lot of guys will chime in here and make some suggestions for you.

209jones 03-06-2010 12:36 AM

Interesting, having to use steel for groundbirds would be a pain, irritating enough for waterfowl, and the premise of reducing hunter mortality certainly seems to have little merit, 'ya can't outrun idiots in a crowd.:jaw::jaw:

OhioBowhunter 03-08-2010 04:59 AM

i cant find anything like that in the ohio regs. all it says is "turkeys may be hunted with shotguns(including muzzleloading shotguns) using shot, crossbows, or longbows" but yeah like screamin said id stick to no smaller than 6s. i personally have always used 4s and have had great success.