HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Acceptable pattern? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/318559-acceptable-pattern.html)

charlie brown 03-01-2010 02:03 PM

Acceptable pattern?

2 Attachment(s)
I just went out today and checked the pattern on my shotgun.

My set-up is as follows-
Mossberg 500 12 guage w/ 28" ported barrel, white front bead, gold rear bead.

I have a Carlson's extended choke Hevi shot full, .700"

I am shooting Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey loads. 3" 1/ 3/4 oz #5's.

I first checked the pattern at 20 yards (approximately), and then moved to 40 yds (approximately).

The 20 yard pattern was centered just low of my aiming point.

I was using butcher paper for the pattern.

I then moved to 40 yards and used a single sheet of butcher paper also. There were surely some off the paper at 40 yards, but I don't know how much, though after shooting at 20 yards, I am pretty certain the load was centered left to right on the paper.

I counted 121 hits at 20 yards, and 44 hits at 40 yards within a 10" ciricle which I figured to be close to the average center of the total pattern.

Is this acceptable, or do I need to work with a different load?

Here are a couple pics.

Thanks,

Marcial

Hurricanespg 03-01-2010 02:22 PM

The generally accepted minimum pellet count for a killing pattern is 100 pellets in a 10" circle at any given yardage.

If you are intent on sticking with lead I would suggest going to #6's and getting a choke somewhere in the .650-.660 range.

If you would like to switch to heavier than lead I would try Hevi-13 3" 2oz #6's with a choke in the .660-.665 range.

Of course you could just shoot Nitro #7's and be done with it! LOL

Good luck!

Hunting Kuk 03-01-2010 02:26 PM

looks good to me

charlie brown 03-01-2010 02:26 PM

Thanks for the info. I was not sure what the general rule was. I will check on some others.

Thanks,

Marcial

mfd1027 03-01-2010 02:45 PM

X2 on Hurricane's post. You could also try the new Hevi 13 7's which will be out in about a wk. I just ordered 2 boxes from Midway.

Dan

maytom 03-02-2010 04:33 AM

Try a .665 sized choke with those Win 1 3/4oz of #5's. I had better luck with that sized choke using those shells when I shot lead. You also might try a 2oz load of #4's since that choke is a little more open and might pattern #4's better. Just a thought.

charlie brown 03-02-2010 04:30 PM

Thanks guys. I am going to try a couple different things here before buying a new choke.

I bought a box of Federal 1 3/4 oz of #6's in the 3 inch, and also I found a Winchester load of 2 oz of #4's. I will check with these two and see how they do. If I can get closer to 100 with either one, then I will see. If I am still a ways off, then I will got with a tighter choke.

Thanks again,

Marcial

ek_buckmaster 03-02-2010 05:07 PM

My best pattern i got out of my gun (Mossberg 835) was with winchester 3.5inch High Velocity 6 shot with a jellyhead choke. I got 112 BB's in an 8 inch circle (1 gallon lid to ice cream). That was at 40 yards as well. If your going to shoot lead i def recommend winchester.

charlie brown 03-02-2010 05:19 PM

I am definately going to stick with lead. I have not found anything else local. The stuff I bought today, there was plenty of boxes left, so I will be able to check my pattern, and then go back after another box. I can't afford to buy 2 or 3 boxes of the fancy stuff over the internet, only to find out it won't work. Also, if I need it, I need it, and can't wait for it to be delivered. Kinda how it is when you live out in the sticks.

Later,

Marcial

ek_buckmaster 03-02-2010 05:37 PM

I know what you mean. I was tempted to switch over to the Heavier-than-lead shot but then after thinking about it, all my turkeys that i have killed have been within 40 yards and my gun is patterning well enough that ill save my money and stick with the lead shot.