HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   i need help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/318556-i-need-help.html)

traperbob 03-01-2010 01:32 PM

i need help

ok so all last season i hunted my great grandpas farm which im hunting the top feild which is huge im up at the top right corner and a group of gobblers roost within 100 yds of me up the hill and they keep flying off and goin the other way and i dont no what to do also im 15 and never killed one

Hunting Kuk 03-01-2010 02:25 PM

where ever their flyen too...set up in that area or get a hen decoy and start doin light tree yelp's ealry and louder yelp's as the day prgresses...I am 15 to I killed my first turkey last year whatta rush!!

traperbob 03-01-2010 02:54 PM

theres no way to get past them on the other side without spooking them oyea im useing a 16ga its just hard trying to start becouse nobody in my family turkey hunts

GreatHunterWannabe 03-01-2010 07:40 PM

Are you calling and putting out a deco spread? You need to let them know where the party is at.

traperbob 03-02-2010 01:21 PM

im calling and have one decoy. is that enuff?

RockyMtnGobblers 03-03-2010 06:15 PM

I would set up above them with maybe 3 hens and a jake decoy or at least one hen and a jake decoy. Have the jake over the hen in the mating position. Get in close 25-100 yards make sure they cant see you at all, make some light tree calls when you hear the hens calling from the roost.

Then just before fly down flap your hat on your leg several times to sound like a hen flying down while you do the fly down cackle. Scratch the leaves on the ground and do some yelps. This should give you an edge and help pull the gobblers in. Nothing is fool proof but this works for me quite a bit.

Also I agree with Hunting Kuk if the above does not work I would set up that afternoon where they flew down that morning and set up the jake in a breeding position or close to the hen. Then if you still don't have a bird set up where they flew down the next morning. Also pay attention to where they go after fly down, they will be going to feed and strut, You can set up in this strutting area with your decoys before they get there and hunt that.
If your really good and lucky you may be able to sneak in there after the birds are already in it, I have done it but I was very lucky and I took my time.
If a gobbler cuts you off when you call, the odds are in your favor that he will come in. Also you can use these tips with or without decoys. Make sure your gun has a good pattern out to 40 yards.
Good luck!

RockyMtnGobblers 03-03-2010 06:30 PM

Get out and scout the birds a couple days before the season know where they roost, fly down, feed, strut. Pay attention to where the gobblers tend to strut in the strut area notice any poss. set up locations there, at the roost, and their travel routs.
See any bottle necks you could set up at? Pay attention to the time they fly down, fly up, always the same place? The gobblers are usually easer to call when the hens go to the nest after 10 am and later in the season. Can you make a blind with brush in their strut area etc. ?
I say to scout a couple of days before the the season, you should be scouting more than that but if you know what they are doing the last 2-3 days you have current pattern info.
I hope this all helps.

SwampCollie 03-04-2010 03:34 AM

I am assuming that right now you are scouting and not hunting (correct me if I'm wrong... I know some seasons are fixin' to open up).

First things first... don't get to calling and decoying and all that mess until you are actually hunting. No need in educating those boys during the off season.

Second... there isn't much vegetation or ground cover for a man to hide in this time of year... so 100 yards in most places might as well be 10 feet when it comes to a turkey being able to see.

If you have a group of gobblers now... you likely won't have a group of gobblers much longer. They get onrey this time of year and get to fightin amoungest themselves and split up to go do what boys and girls naturally do.

Where are you located statewise? Knowing what sort of timeline you are on with your season will help us help you a bit.

Gamblinman 03-04-2010 05:17 AM

+1 on what SwampCollie said.

Based on the info in your post, you're already on the corner of your available property, and the birds are roosted on another piece of property, and goin the other way. That's always a tough position to be in. If this is the case, you may be better off hunting later in the morning, and in the afternoon. Those birds will eventually start milling around, and later in the season. will be more susceptible to being called farther distances to your location. Patience is the key here, and it could reward you with a fine gobbler.
If you can, set-up in the area the birds are going to off the roost. Being in their travel corridor is always a good bet for harvesting one.
As you get closer to opening day, and further into the season, I'll bet one or more of those gobblers will be traveling somewhere closeby. Again patience will be your ally.

Gman

kevin1 03-04-2010 05:36 AM

Since those gobblers are heading away from you something is attracting them, you need to find a way to be more attractive. If your one deke is a hen put her out in the open where she'll be seen and you'll have a clear shot, then call to the gobblers with sweet yelps, purrs, and clucks. If it's a male deke save up for a hen and place them together as Rocky described, gobblers hate another guy hogging their girl.