Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
I can't figure out how to purr!! HELP! :) >

I can't figure out how to purr!! HELP! :)

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I can't figure out how to purr!! HELP! :)

Old 02-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default I can't figure out how to purr!! HELP! :)

I tried last year but ended up giving up trying to figure out how to purr with a diaphragm call...I think it cost me a tom because I had to use my slate then when i went up for my gun I got busted.

I've heard:
Motorboat
Roll your tongue
Gargle

I can't motorboat without putting too much air through and being too loud for a coaxing purr

I can't seem to roll my tongue when it's already pressed up against the call to get the noise

I really just don't know what they mean about gargling...

Anyone have any tips, suggestions, ANYTHING?! I currently have the Double D, E-Z Rasp, and raspy old hen from HSS if that makes any difference
Old 02-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

try slowly dragging the (idk what it's called) hand piece of the slate/glass
BigBuck95
Old 02-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

I can purr with a slate and striker just fine...It's just last year I got busted doing it so I need tips on doing it with my mouth call...thank you though!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Scratching in the leaves is about as good a close call as you can use to coax a bird those last few yds and you can do it with one hand while you hold your gun up with your other hand. But if you just hafta know how to purr try this. First- practice without a call at first. place your tongue against the roof of your mouth, bring air up from your diaphram (the key to purring), keep your lips closed loosely, now flutter the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth. I feel like I create a hollow air chamber in the rear of my mouth as I do it. You have to get this action down before you introduce a call into the picture. Once you do add a call. I make calls and my best purr calls have significantly less stretch and as far a purring calls go less is "usually" better with two reeded calls "usually" being easier to purr on. I have good luck with split V, batwing, modified batwing and ghost cuts and really feel its more about the stretch than it is the cut. Once you learn to purr like this you'll be able to add little whistle's, cluck's, etc. to add to the realism but keep scratching the leaves. That's the real killer. Good Luck!!

Dan
Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Spike

I'am sure you have tried other diaphragm callls.
keep trying. If it doest work for you, you can get a push button call that clips on the end of your gun barrel. It operates with a string you can pull while aiming the gun at the target.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

I do it by fluttering my tongue and lips then squeezing the reeds at the end with my tongue to cut it off with a high note. You need a call with thin latex and cuts to make it.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't do it... because I haven't been convinced its worth doing.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Roll your tongue without the call in your mouth. Roll it loud and long until you can change the pitch of the sound that comes out by tightening your lips. Keep doing that, really loud. Now put the call in and do the same thing, really loud and long rolls with the call in. If you can't do it, take the call out and do it some more, then put the call back in. Once you finally get the loud purr sound with the call in your mouth its time to make it sound like a turkey, so practice on softer, shorter, and more controlled purrs by tightening your lips and adding or removing pressure with your tongue. Just listen to clips of real turkey purrs and practice, but of all the techniques to purr on a mouth call, I think this is the easiest way to get a realistic purr.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

I use the gargling method, what this means is you push air against your uvula, the thing that dangles in the back of your throat. You keep your tongue in the call just as you normally would, I sometime push the call a bit furthur forward with my tongue but it takes some experimenting. Anyway, you get a nice soft purrrrrrrr and you can change the inflection by changing the amount of air that is coming up from through your throat and also the placement of the call in your mouth, the main thing is learning how to make your uvula jiggle with air. I use a single reed 4 dollar mouth call and it works well, I think because there isn't a large amount of air a double reed or something that takes more air wouldn't work as well, at least it would be more difficult to make it work with this method.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Wet your lips real good and "motorboat" by vibrating your lips....you can do this with a tiny amount of air, but not if your lips are dry. Master it without the diaphragm in first, then it will be cake!

It's the easiest way, babies do it all the time before they even learn to talk, except they usually blow spit bubbles while they are doing it!

Best of Luck
Jeff

Last edited by elkmtngear; 03-01-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.