Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Leaning back towards the 3 inchers... >

Leaning back towards the 3 inchers...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Leaning back towards the 3 inchers...

Old 02-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Leaning back towards the 3 inchers...

Hi everybody. I'm new around here and enjoy the conversations.

I took my new Mossy 535 out yesterday to try some 3 1/2" loads. Wow. I had an 835 before and a Super X2, both which I shot the big shells out of with only minor discomfort. My new gun is a man killer! It's got a nice thumbhole stock, and I figured my problem would only be a sore shoulder. Well even with my cheek tight to the stock, it feels like somebody hit me in the face with ball bat! I wish I could have seen the look on my face after that first shot. Surely it was priceless.

I shot a couple boxes of shells out of it, and the good news is that it's deadly out to 45 yards with the shells I shot. I'm going to check and see what 3 inchers will do. I've killed plenty of birds with them, but hate passing on the shells since I paid for a 3 1/2 gun! I'd hate to miss one because of flinching...

I'm looking forward to talking to all of you!
rw
Old 02-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Firstly, welcome to the board.

Not surprising that the 535, at 6.5lbs, kicked the snot out of you. Those big shells can be brutal in a very light gun.

I would expect that a 3", 1 3/4 or 2oz load of Hevi-Shot will pattern better in that gun since (I think) it has a standard bore barrel vs. the overboard barrel of the 835.

I shoot the 835 - with a ported 24" barrel, ported choke, and aftermarket Limbsaver pad it is not unpleasant to shoot. More of a big push than a mule kick even shooting the 2.25 oz Nitros at 1200 fps.

I would suggest a ported choke and limbsaver recoil pad.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, it's a very light gun. The 3"s I shot didn't faze me. But the big boys rocked me. I was going to get a limbsaver pad, but those shells didn't seem to bother my shoulder. The gun is jumping up more than back it feels like. I didn't figure it would judging by the design of the stock, but I guess I was wrong. It does have a ported tube in it.

It's rough thinking of spending the $ for the heavy shot not knowing how it will pattern. If I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it would pattern well enough out of my setup to kill a bird at 45 yards I'd buy a box. I wish I knew somebody around here that would give me a shell to try before I spent the money.

I'll try the Winchester Supreme 3" shells. They have some with 2 oz of lead, which is what the big ones hold. Just not as much powder and no sore face!

rw
Old 02-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

I had one of the early 835's when they first came out in the realtree brownleaf pattern years ago. I never been rocked like that in my life!!! One word....Brutal!! In that light gun, those 3 1/2" "Roman Candles" felt like howitzer's going off!! After only shooting 9 shells, that was it for me!! I sold that gun and went to a Winchester 1300 in a 3" chamber instead. Best move I ever made. Let me be the first to say, you surely don't need a 3 1/2" gun to kill turkeys with!! Heck, a 2 3/4" gun would get the job done just as nicely, and without getting your shoulder pounded in the process!! By all means try the 3" shells. Your no less of a man using a 3" gun or shell.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not too proud to say that I don't like that kick! haha Now I shot the big ones in my ported 835 and my super X2 auto and they weren't intolerable.

This gun has VERY low profile sights to really get your face down on the stock. I'm wondering though if I tried a slightly higher set that I could get my cheek in a better position on the stock. Anybody else have this same issue with the 535 thumbhole?

rw
Old 02-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hunt12ga
Hi everybody. I'm new around here and enjoy the conversations.

I took my new Mossy 535 out yesterday to try some 3 1/2" loads. Wow. I had an 835 before and a Super X2, both which I shot the big shells out of with only minor discomfort. My new gun is a man killer! It's got a nice thumbhole stock, and I figured my problem would only be a sore shoulder. Well even with my cheek tight to the stock, it feels like somebody hit me in the face with ball bat! I wish I could have seen the look on my face after that first shot. Surely it was priceless.

I shot a couple boxes of shells out of it, and the good news is that it's deadly out to 45 yards with the shells I shot. I'm going to check and see what 3 inchers will do. I've killed plenty of birds with them, but hate passing on the shells since I paid for a 3 1/2 gun! I'd hate to miss one because of flinching...

I'm looking forward to talking to all of you!
rw
Well FWIW, I have never met the Duck, Goose, or Turkey I hated bad enough to shoot with 3½" ammunition.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dawei
Well FWIW, I have never met the Duck, Goose, or Turkey I hated bad enough to shoot with 3½" ammunition.

Well, you da man!!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you have a turkey in your sites and your blood is pumping hard do you really feel the shot? I know I don't, never did never will.

Hatchet Jack
Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

killing the turkey is easy. Patterning the gun sucks!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Back in the old days, the ole time hunters killed turkeys with 2 inch black powder shells.
I am in the same boat, so to speak.
I had rotator cup sugery.
So the high power shells are out.
If nothing else, it will be 2 3/4 12 ga shells, or mabe 20 ga.
That is If I can find one I could borrow.
Well Good Luck.

jrbsr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.