HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Anyone done any extensive choke tube testing? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/317818-anyone-done-any-extensive-choke-tube-testing.html)

fatsbucknut 02-20-2010 11:01 AM

Anyone done any extensive choke tube testing?

I'm trying to decide on a new choke tube for my BPS 10 gauge. I have it narrowed down to either a Jellyhead in .695 or .690 or a Pure Gold in .710 or .690. The factory choke tubes with 5 shot are not cutting it, i was not impressed with my pattern at 45-50yds. I'm probably gonna shoot 6 shot this season. I dont wanna constrict the tube so much that i have a softball size pattern at 40yds but still wanna be able to reach out there pretty far. Maybe i'm asking for too much. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Zach

Gamblinman 02-20-2010 11:47 AM

http://oldgobbler.com/TheForum/index.php?board=115.0

Hurricanespg 02-20-2010 01:03 PM

If you are shooting the 10ga you are really doing yourself a disservice if you dont shoot the Nitro's. Unfortunately, every 10ga factory loading I have shot can fairly easily be matched with a 12ga 3.5" shell.....thats not to say they shoot bad, because they do not.

Any of the chokes you listed will shoot well with the Nitro's #7's, although you will probably see a little bit better pattern with the .690. Conversely you will probably see a little bit better pattern with the Pure Gold .710 shooting Nitro 4x5x7's.

If you decide to stick with factory loadings I have gotten pretty good results with Hevi-13 #5's and a Pure Gold .710.
Good luck!

JW 02-20-2010 03:23 PM

You are asking to much - stay at less than 30 yards - saves you money and the heart ache of a wounded or missed bird.

Just my 2 cents

JW

Adrian J Hare 02-21-2010 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by JW! (Post 3580758)
You are asking to much - stay at less than 30 yards - saves you money and the heart ache of a wounded or missed bird.

Just my 2 cents

JW

Come on Dave , If I put you behind my 20 gauge you would have a much better view on a good pattern bud :s4:

I wold spend the money on a Pure Gold. If your going to spend buy something that you can return if your not happy, its worth the extra few bucks. To many turkey hunters are left with chokes that are no good and can not sell them 2nd handed. I've spent as much if not more on chokes then I spent on my Benelli and now i'm only speaking of what I can save you in expence..

Gamblinman 02-21-2010 07:56 AM

Properly sighted in. choked, and good aim, a 10 gauge w/ Nitro ammo is an easy 50 yd. killer. No wounded birds with that combination, if all else mentioned is accomplished. My SP-10 has over 80 kills, with not one bird wounded.
One shot. one kill.

Gman

ek_buckmaster 02-21-2010 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare (Post 3580948)
Come on Dave , If I put you behind my 20 gauge you would have a much better view on a good pattern bud :s4:

I wold spend the money on a Pure Gold. If your going to spend buy something that you can return if your not happy, its worth the extra few bucks. To many turkey hunters are left with chokes that are no good and can not sell them 2nd handed. I've spent as much if not more on chokes then I spent on my Benelli and now i'm only speaking of what I can save you in expence..

Any ideas where a guy could buy chokes and return if they aren't happy? lol

Adrian J Hare 02-22-2010 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by ek_buckmaster (Post 3581363)
Any ideas where a guy could buy chokes and return if they aren't happy? lol

right from gameacc.net , now its a switching if you buy a choke until you find what you like. You can also contact Bill Davis he is on Oldgobbler

Mr. Longbeard 02-22-2010 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by fatsbucknut (Post 3580644)
I'm trying to decide on a new choke tube for my BPS 10 gauge. I have it narrowed down to either a Jellyhead in .695 or .690 or a Pure Gold in .710 or .690. The factory choke tubes with 5 shot are not cutting it, i was not impressed with my pattern at 45-50yds. I'm probably gonna shoot 6 shot this season. I dont wanna constrict the tube so much that i have a softball size pattern at 40yds but still wanna be able to reach out there pretty far. Maybe i'm asking for too much. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Zach

I got news for ya dude... Your living in a fantasy world if you think any choke and load combo is going to give you a softball size pattern at 40 yards...

Mr. Longbeard 02-22-2010 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gamblinman (Post 3581042)
. My SP-10 has over 80 kills, with not one bird wounded.
One shot. one kill.

Gman

Good ol Merriam's/Rio's