Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Anyone done any extensive choke tube testing? >

Anyone done any extensive choke tube testing?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Anyone done any extensive choke tube testing?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Keep in mind that if you are trying to stretch your range, which is pretty much unadvisable under most circumstances anyway, you would do well to go with larger shot. A #6 pellet at 40 yds has roughly half the energy of a #4 and falling fast. You will likely fail to achieve lethal penetration at those ranges with #6, and will result in crippled birds. Hevi shot style loads have a decided advantage in that department. I would much rather see a uniform dense pattern at thirty yards, that I knew was money for me, than try gambling at long range and hope for luck. Some guns, chokes, loads are just not going to deliver earth shattering NWTF still target champion style patterns. I guess shame on the industry for promoting the idea that everyone is gonna achieve that with their walmart special 870.. If you wanna play, fine..we all do it. But an acceptable pattern is an acceptable pattern, and trust me that the gobbler that gets drilled with five pellets in his skull and neck does not feel short changed that his buddy got dumped with fifty. A turkey breast sandwich is still a sandwich any way you slice it.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
right from gameacc.net , now its a switching if you buy a choke until you find what you like. You can also contact Bill Davis he is on Oldgobbler
Thanks!! Ill def be looking into that
Old 02-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
I got news for ya dude... Your living in a fantasy world if you think any choke and load combo is going to give you a softball size pattern at 40 yards...

Dont worry DUDE, i was being sarcastic about the softball size. I'm looking for a combo that will make me confident at 50yds and the factory choke is not doing that.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would get the pure gold choke (and excellent choke) and try some denser than lead stuff in either Heavy 13 or Winchester extended range. The denser than lead stuff doesn't just kill farther than lead it also outpatterns it. The nitros are the best but man is it high. (almost 80 bucks a box) Odds are the H-13 or the WXR with the Pure Gold choke will give you an excellent pattern at 40 yards. Probably at 50 too. Use number 6's in the denser than lead stuff. There is no need to use larger size shot with that stuff.

I guess shame on the industry for promoting the idea that everyone is gonna achieve that with their walmart special 870.
No one is claiming that the denser than lead stuff or any choke is going to transform any old gun into a NWTF competetion gun. I wouldn't want a gun I actually planned to use on a turkey hunt shooting patterns that tight anyway. But the denser than lead shot and a good choke of the right constriction will improve the patterns of almost any gun.

I own many shotguns, some quite expensive, but the one that throws the best turkey pattern is a 870 SM bought at Wal-Mart. Why? Because it has an Indian Creek choke in it and I'm using Win Elite extended range 6's. With that combo it will put over 180 pellets inside 10 inches at 40n yards and still over 100 inside 10 inches at 50 yards. Patterns that good at those ranges combined with shot that is 100 times harder than lead and 30% denser means that you aren't risking anything by shooting that far. If I hold it on his head out to 50, he's dead.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Good ol Merriam's/Rio's
It also has several Osceola's and numerous Easterns to it's credit.

Gman