Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Purrin on mouth calls?!?!? >

Purrin on mouth calls?!?!?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Purrin on mouth calls?!?!?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Spike

Default Purrin on mouth calls?!?!?

Guys been working on my diaphragmns for 2 seasons now and have just got to where i feel comfortable using them this season. Yelps, Cuts, Clucks, and the Kee Kee are down but just can't get that purr down pat. I can get it to make the purring sound, but it just doesn't sound good enough to me. I am using the technique where I use my lips like a motor boat.... any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DMills615
Guys been working on my diaphragmns for 2 seasons now and have just got to where i feel comfortable using them this season. Yelps, Cuts, Clucks, and the Kee Kee are down but just can't get that purr down pat. I can get it to make the purring sound, but it just doesn't sound good enough to me. I am using the technique where I use my lips like a motor boat.... any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
I do it by fluttering my tongue. Takes a lot of practice and the right kind of diaphram.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you've ever heard somebody roll their r's with their tongue, try to duplicate that sound first with no call in your mouth. Same thing as fluttering your tongue, just trying to put it in different terms. Do it really loud and long without the call in your mouth until you can hold the roll and start to change the pitch and volume of it. Add the call and do the same thing, really loud and long until you get a loud steady purr. Now put the call in your mouth and try to slow it down and soften it to a realistic sounding purr by tightening your mouth and lips. I've seen the pros lean their head up slightly when purring for some reason. I guess it helps by changing the airway somehow. Takes a good bit of practice though. Took me about 4 years to get a good sounding purr. Listen to sound clips over and over and try to mimic it til you get it. Try different calls too, don't limit yourself to one type of diaphram. I find it easier to do with multiple reeded calls, but once you get the hang of it you'll be purring on any call you want. Keep at it, you'll get it.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Typical Buck

try like you are gargling
thats how i do it and i think it sounds great
Old 02-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hoosierHUNTER76
try like you are gargling
thats how i do it and i think it sounds great
X2
Thats how I do it to.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

depending if i want a loud or soft purr ill fluttler my lips for louder and for soft i just blow through my lips as i would if i wanted to flutter my lips but i dont... sounds pretty good i think
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do it in my throat.