HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Browning BPS 10 Ga (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/317349-browning-bps-10-ga.html)

jbaham 02-14-2010 11:11 AM

Browning BPS 10 Ga

Hi I am new to the forum. I just purchased a browning BPS 10 Ga for turkey hunting just wondering what some of you all think of this gun. I used to own one and loved it so I got rid of my 12 ga and got another 10 ga. I wil be using it as a turkey gun here in NY. What loads work best out of these normally.

thanks for any advice

Jbaham

cowboy4513 02-14-2010 11:36 AM

I just sold one! I never shot it but heard great things about it. How much did you pick yours up for?

cowboy4513 02-14-2010 11:37 AM

Welcome to the forum as well!

jbaham 02-14-2010 12:29 PM

I got mine for 699.00.

mez 02-16-2010 08:30 AM

My brother and I both have one, only took it turkey hunting a couple of times. You can really reach out and touch one with a load of 4's. My first recommendation is to get a sling, the thing weighs a ton and not carry friendly without a sling.

4-6 will work fine. Pattern the gun. I just used the factory full choke and 4's and was confident out to 60 yards. It has been a while but I believe I was using Remington turkey loads.

mouthcaller 02-16-2010 08:58 AM

I have one that was given to me by my father for goose hunting. Used it for several years and liked it OK for that purpose. I shot it quite a bit back in the day when we got a good Canada goose migration in NW Tennessee. The geese no longer come down so the gun hasn't been shot in several years.

My overall thoughts are that the gun is very heavy and I had to reach too far to get the forearm (and I have long arms). I bought a factory turkey choke for it but never once used it as a turkey gun because it is so heavy. Compared to the 870 i used for years I can't imagine holding that BPS still for very long waiting for a gobbler to commit those last 20 yards.

My dad has a Remington SP-10 and that is a nice gun - better balanced, long forearm that is easy to reach from a seated position. If I were going to shoot a 10 gauge that would be my choice.

I now use a Mossy 835 which is the top-end limit of weight and size that I am willing to use for turkeys. With that overboard barrel and a .676 StarDot choke it handles those 3.5" - 2.25oz loads extremely well. Shooting the Nitros it will flat get the job done, and way on out there too.

Someday I will stop using cannons to kill my turkeys and get back to where I started with shotguns - the 20 gauge. Everything in life seems to come back full circle eventually.

jbaham 02-16-2010 08:59 AM

mez,

Thanks for the help I will definitely get a sling for this gun. I will also pattern it as you have said and see what works best in it. again thanks for you help I appreciate it.

jbaham 02-23-2010 08:45 AM

Well I finally patterned the 10 ga it has nice patterns out to 50 yards which is the end of my comfort range as far as shooting at a turkey with any gun. The felt recoil was less than the 12 ga 3.5 inch loads I used to hunt with out of my mossberg. I appreciate everyone's help and hope to get a nice tom this year. I was using winchester #5's 3.5 inch 2 1/4 ounce loads out of the 10 ga. And the sling makes a world of difference as far as carrying the gun around.

mez 02-23-2010 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by jbaham (Post 3582428)
The felt recoil was less than the 12 ga 3.5 inch loads I used to hunt with out of my mossberg. .

It is heavy for a reason. :D

jbaham 02-23-2010 10:13 AM

Yes Mez I am glad it is that heavy my old 10 that I had a while ago was lighter and really punished you when you shot it. I love the weight as it does aid in knocking the recoil down. thanks again for all your help I greatly appreciate it.

jbaham