Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Changing my load of choice... Suggestions >

Changing my load of choice... Suggestions

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Changing my load of choice... Suggestions

Old 02-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default Changing my load of choice... Suggestions

I shoot a TC Encore equipped with the short Kathadin Barrel and a Carlson Choke (.665). Shot 3" Winchester Extended Range #5 for the past 4 years or so with pretty good results, but the $40/box of 10 price tag has crossed the line. Any suugestions as to what loads to try out. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars buying different brands in different sizes trying to find one I like. If I can eliminate some right outta the gate that would be awsome.

Thanks ahead.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
I shoot a TC Encore equipped with the short Kathadin Barrel and a Carlson Choke (.665). Shot 3" Winchester Extended Range #5 for the past 4 years or so with pretty good results, but the $40/box of 10 price tag has crossed the line. Any suugestions as to what loads to try out. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars buying different brands in different sizes trying to find one I like. If I can eliminate some right outta the gate that would be awsome.

Thanks ahead.
How many of those Win ER shells do you shoot in a season?

Everyone has a breaking point on ammo costs, I understand that, expecially in this economy. I would suggest you consider what percentage of your overall turkey hunting costs are consumed by the shells you shoot. For me that is a very small number when factoring in the annual costs of hunting leases, gas, equipment and license.

If you have something you are confident in and had success with in the past, then I would urge you to stick with it. The pellets in that Winchester load is actually what kills the turkey, not your Encore, your calls, your camo, etc. I prefer to scrimp and save in other areas in order to be able to shoot the very best ammo I can get my hands on. For me that is Nitro, and they are higher than the shells you shoot. But I only shot three last season to kill three gobblers. I will miss some meals if necessary to save that $17.00, but I won't give up those Nitros. But that's just me. Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know.

When I tried some different loads before "discovering" Nitros the lead Federal 3.5" 6 shot flight control shells performed the best in my Mossberg 835. Supposedly they don't shoot well out of ported chokes due to the wad stripping effect of the porting.

For years I shot Federal or Winchester XX Turkey loads --> 3", 2oz #5 or #6 with success. That was from an 870 with a Remington extra full extended non-ported choke.

Good luck[

Mouthcaller
Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mouthcaller
How many of those Win ER shells do you shoot in a season?

Everyone has a breaking point on ammo costs, I understand that, expecially in this economy. I would suggest you consider what percentage of your overall turkey hunting costs are consumed by the shells you shoot. For me that is a very small number when factoring in the annual costs of hunting leases, gas, equipment and license.
Honestly, with gun paid for, camo paid, lifetime license that paid for itself 4 years ago and hunting public land, the shells make up the largest % of my annual cost these days (with a little gas money to get me there and back.

The problem that I have with these shells arises from the use of the Kathadin barrel. It is only 20 inches long and while it throws a super tight pattern (softball size at 20 yards) and a nice pie plate pattern at 30, the pattern is swiss cheese at 40. I can't rationalize spending the money on the ER shells when the gun limits my ability to tap into the benefits of the ER shells.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

If that Carlson choke is nonported I would try the Federal Flight Control lead #6. I would suspect that any lead load you use will not perform as well as those winchester ER heavier-than-lead.

I don't know anything about your barrel and I have never shot an Encore, but the fact that the barrel is only 20" shouldn't limit your 40 yard pattern to that great of a degree. My son now has a Winchester 1300 with a 22" barrel and it shoots a great pattern at 40 yards. Perhaps a more open choke would improve your results - might be worth a try.

Good luck
Old 02-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like HeviShot13 out of my Mossberg 835, and Indian Creek Choke
Old 02-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly don't think there is any need to shoot any shot size larger than 6's in the denser than lead shells. The 6's will outpattern the 4's and 5's by a wide margin and maintain lethal killing power well past the point that 4's or 5's will hold an acceptable pattern.

As for price, once your gun is patterened with them you will only be shooting turkeys with them. How many turkeys you shoot a year? Even if I killed my limit every year here in Alabama a box of ten would still last two years. With 40 dollar Winchester Elite extended range shells that's a yearly ammo cost of 20 bucks. And that's not much.

I also second the Indian Creek Choke recommendation.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Federals 3in mag, Will do the job for you...
Old 02-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I wanted the best pattern that I could get I would go with Nitro straight 7's.
The next two on the list would be Hevi 13 3-2-6, or the Win Xtd Range #6's.
The Hevi 13 #7's should be delivering soon so you may want to hold off a little while and give them a try. Either way the three loads listed above will give you great patterns.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Spike

I wonder if the Winchester H.V.'s would produce pretty much the same results as the Extended Range? They are half the price anyways, probably worth a try?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know if this will go through that barrel but try some 3 and a halfs. Just remember to keep your cheek on the cheekpiece=]
BigBuck95

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.