Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
It's been awhile.......... >

It's been awhile..........

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

It's been awhile..........

Old 01-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default It's been awhile..........

So I thought I'd stop in and say Hi. Been busy and haven't had much time to stop in here lately and see what's been going on. I've been playing around in my woodshop, and pumped out some turkey stuff. Made my first slate call this last week. Turned out beatiful, and sounds awesome. Here's some pics of it.

First one is before finishing and glueing so you can see the inside.

Next 2 are finshed product.

Also made a set of shelf brackets. These aren't finished in the photo, but are done now, just haven't taken a pic. of them yet. They are done in Golden Oak. Gonna put them up on one of the bedroom windows, with the shelf (which I'm currently making) above the window. Gonna build a curtain rod out of oak, and make it look like an arrow, with fletchings and all, and it will pass thru the large upper strutting turkey, via drop down brackets from underneath the shelf. Will look real good on the window when I'm done. Wife wants to put some turkey paraphenalia on it.

Here's a couple more that I did for another guy.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome work man!!! Thanks for sharing them with us! I'd love to hear what that slate call sounds like?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Spike

hey i like to do stuff on my own like that some times send me a message cuz i gotta know where to get the slate for that.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by norajake
hey i like to do stuff on my own like that some times send me a message cuz i gotta know where to get the slate for that.

The slate came from an old hand held chaulk board that was used years ago in the old school house's. My wife had it, where she got it, god only knows! Anyways, I just sanded it down to size. I do got a line a guy up in PA that is suppose to sell slate. I haven't called him yet, as I just got his number a couple of days ago. If your interested, I'll pm it to ya. Scott.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by norajake

You can get everything you need to make turkey calls at www.brooksidegamecalls.com .
I have been making custom calls for about 12 years now and get alot of my supplies from them. They are good people.
Making a call and harvesting a bird with it is way better then using one you bought at the store. It just adds to the hunt.
Good luck and if anybody needs any help just let me know and I will try and help you out.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.customsawing.com/Slate.htm

These guys also have materials for what you're looking for. Seem to be a little higher than the previous site though.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Spike

You are very talented! These look fantastic!!!

I can't imagine anything better than calling in a gobbler with something I made by my own hand... Congrats!