Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Mossberg shooters!?!?!?!? >

Mossberg shooters!?!?!?!?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mossberg shooters!?!?!?!?

Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Spike

Question Mossberg shooters!?!?!?!?

Has anyone tried the xx full ported turky choke from mossberg?
I shoot a mossberg 500 with the three chokes that come with it.(full, improved cylinder, and modified)

thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

If you need to purchase a choke, there are many available that will be much better than the Mossberg. Look at Indian Creek and Primos Jellyhead. Search the posts here, as I bet there have been extensive discussions on works best.

Gman
Old 01-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Spike

Question

Thank you very much for your input. I have read about the jellyhead choke and a few people say that is is good out to about 30 yards then the pattern spreads like wildfire. I need to be able to shoot a good pattern at 50-60 yards because the turkeys I hunt dont like to come in close.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

i shot a kicks gobblin thunder out of my 500 before i got my 835
Old 01-21-2010, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

Very few shotguns are going to reliably pattern at that distance with just a turkey choke and factory loads. I've spent a lot of time and labor to get mine to do it, and still wary about taking shots at that distance. I'm shooting an SP-10 w/ rifle sights, ported and polished barrel, custom choke, handloads, and lots of time at the range.

Just IMHO...

Gman
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a basic Moss 500. I put in Moss XX-full choke, use Nitro 4x6x7 loads. I get over 30 pellets in head & neck at 40yds. Last spring I took a nice tom at 60yds in narrow wooded lane. It was a down hill shot, and I didn't think the bird was out that far. I was stunned when my dad & I paced it out. Was one heck of a shot. My 2 boys also have Moss 500's with the Undertaker choke. They also pattern just as good. I really think the Nitro ammo is the key for a Mossberg.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

I shoot a Mossberg 500 with the xx full turkey choke. I wont buy another. Its an awesome choke. Its killed a bunch of turkeys. Others can say what they want, but I stuck with the facory choke from day one. But thats just me. I never needed to change. It shoots that good. Longest shot and kill for me was 47yards. I shoot Federals 3in 5 shot 2oz load...

Last edited by Arrowmaster; 01-21-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:51 AM
Typical Buck

My first shotgun was a mossberg 500 3 inch.I used the xtra full choke that came with it. It was OK...atleast by my standards at the time..meaning I DID kill a few birds with it. Killed quite a few more when I went to an HS Undertaker tube and a red dot sight...big improvement over the double beads (unadjustable.) Current gun is a 870 supermag with a Carlson's tube and TriViz fiber optics./ best combo yet for me. If you can put over 100 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards, you have a winner.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bassmaster1223
Thank you very much for your input. I have read about the jellyhead choke and a few people say that is is good out to about 30 yards then the pattern spreads like wildfire. I need to be able to shoot a good pattern at 50-60 yards because the turkeys I hunt dont like to come in close.
Trying to stretch your range is never reccomended. Try picking better setups, better concealment, better decoy placement, or better calling...or all of the above. Not trying to be a smart A...but if you are having trouble getting birds within range on a consistent basis, then it's your strategies, not your gun that needs some fine tuning. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have that choke for my 835 and get really good results with Winchester Supreme HV, 3.5", #5. I get even better results with Hevi-Shot 13, 3.5", 2-1/4oz. in either #5 or #6, using a Indian Creek Choke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.