Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Lohman' s Pump and Mouth Yelper Calls >

Lohman' s Pump and Mouth Yelper Calls

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Lohman' s Pump and Mouth Yelper Calls

Old 06-11-2003, 07:50 PM

Default Lohman' s Pump and Mouth Yelper Calls

As a follow-up to the earlier thread " Calls That Stood Out..." , I would like to know what your experiences are with both the pump yelper and the mouth yelper made by Lohman Calls. I have had extraordinary sucess the last two years with the pump yelper. Both of my gobblers this spring would gobble at a box call but wouldn' t move. As soon as I hit the pump yelper, here they came hot as fire ( both were actually one of pairs of gobblers that came in ). I also had two other close encounters this spring in which gobblers (one a single and the other a trio) came in to the pump yelper call but I couldn' t quite get a decent shot. The calls have two adjustments that have to be set " just right" (a little tricky) but once you get there, the call is dynamite. My mouth yelper just doesn' t have the same sound as the pump yelper and I don' t really like it although the sound producing mechanism is similar (breath replacing pump stroke). Have any of you used either call and what were your experiences?
Bob Dale
Old 06-12-2003, 04:21 AM

Default RE: Lohman' s Pump and Mouth Yelper Calls

[X(] Hmmm I beg to differ.....I have one of those Lohman pump yelpers and think it is useless...won' t work worth a crap....heck even Bosstom played with it & it wouldn' t work right...oh well, guess I got a piece of crap [:@] Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 06-12-2003, 08:28 PM

If the call' s two adjustment controls are not set optimally. you do get all kinds of bad sounds, tones, and pitches. It takes some trial and error; usualy the knob control needs to be between 3.5 and 4 on the scale. The barrel adjustment needs to be relatively tight but not tightened all of the way. If the " piston" starts to bind on the stroke, open the rig up and lubricate it with Vaseline. Unscrew the barrel and make sure that the diaphragm is oriented correctly. It can rotate a little as you turn the barrel adjustment and screw up the sound. When properly adjusted, the call makes some pretty sweet yelps with a lot of rasp that really excites the gobblers. Lohmans also sells for the rig some alternate multiple reed diaphragms that give even raspier sounds. Yes, it' s a bit touchy, but it has worked wonderfully for me. Get it back out, play with the above factors, and give it another try. Bob Dale
Old 06-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve got responses with the call also but with that said I can far surpass the quality of sound from other designs so consequently I make my decisions to that end!I like the directional option the call can create but you said it yourself it is a very touchy call and has to be adjusted frequently especially when changing tone!Obviously you have alot of confidence in the call from the positive results you' ve had afield and thats a good thing alot of hunters dont have!We all have our favorites derived from the same situations afield and obviously the pumper is for you and unless one try' s it such as yourself who' s to say it wont be an asset in the turkey woods!As for me the pumper stays home!!
Old 06-13-2003, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

When the pump action firsty came out it was praise the lord. Finally a call that would bail out those of us that just couldn' t get the hang of a tube yelper, which i believe to be the finest most realistic call there is. To me the yelper just didn' t have the, if u will excuse me for creating a description, volume velocity. But it is as good as any other call. As for the mouth yelper i was truly disappointed. I found it difficult to blow. I can' t believe it can' t be made to blow more easily. That in turn would probally have it sounding better. Now im just waiting for someone to invent a lip-purr type call for us non-purrers(<sorry)! I believe you could take a bubble gum whistle and get that little ball to make purrs if we could just get the right minds on it. Just my 2cents.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:59 AM

Ive used the pump yelper and mouth yelper since they came out and they do work,,,,,,,sometimes. I drew in a gobbler the year before last that hung up on me 100 yards out in field. This bird wouldnt respond to any of my other calls, ( slate, aluminum, box, or pushbutton. But as soon as I hit the pump yelper it went nuts. Guess it never heard one before. I have used the pump yelper to shock gobble alot of birds. Seems to work good that way. However, I usually switch to my slate after I get an initial response . Thats the only time I have had much luck with it.
I like the mouth yelper in conjunction with my gun mounted call to bring them in that last few yards.
For a person who wants a good, all around, consistant call... Id say NO to these two. However, I will always carry mine with me in case the birds dont respond to anything else. [:-]
Old 06-13-2003, 08:16 AM

My first, second and last reaction to the pump yelper is and was similar to BM' s response. A useless piece of crap. Too much " adjusting." Most of the time it sounds like a strangled parakeet. Just another way to waste $.

As for you who have had good reactions to it in the field, that' s great, but your advocacy makes me wonder if you are employed by Lohman. I think that the experience--turks wouldn' t come until I used the pump action yelper--could be used to argue for virtually every type or style call. " Wouldn' t come until I switched to a slate" --" to a box call" --" to a diaphragm" etc.

That' s not to say the pump action is a bad call, or that having a variety of calls when in the turkey woods is not a good idea. Its just that, IMHO, the pump action requires too much fooling aroind, too many " adjustments" , to produce a reliable, good-sounding yelp, and I regret I ever spent a $ on it. (But the p.a. has not been my only " foolish investment," not by a long shot. I' ve spent many a $ on fishing lures that only caught, me, for example.) Mine went to the trash a long time ago.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:30 AM

Interesting diversity of replies. You know, I' ve got a box of box, mouth, and slate calls that I have purchased through the years that I consider crap, with others of the same basic types that are great. Beauty is, indeed, in the eyes of the beholder and in the idiosyncracies of a particular call. I still like my pump yelper. The proof-of-the pudding is in the eating (gobbler meat I think). I still maintain that it' s a great call when adjusted correctly. Bob Dale