Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Turkey Choke Tube For Remington 870 >

Turkey Choke Tube For Remington 870

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Choke Tube For Remington 870

Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey Choke Tube For Remington 870

What is the best choke tube for Turkey hunting? We picked up another 870 yesterday and I was wondering about the newer choke tubes out these days. This gun shoots 12 ga. 3" shells.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Tons of good chokes out there.

I recommend a Primos Jellyhead. I have one in my 870 SM, and have helped several others set-up their turkey guns with one. I've never seen a bad pattern from one. Reasonably priced too.

Gman
Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

I've got an indian creek diamond strike choke for my 870 and it makes fantastic patterns with 3" heavishot #6. You can pick one up for about $70 bucks.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-ICS10...tm_medium=feed
Old 01-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use an 870 SPS-T and a Jellyhead. It works great for me. You can go a little cheaper with an Undertaker. It shot well with my 870. The Jellyhead will cost around $40-$45 and the Undertaker around $20-$25. Both are great chokes for the cost.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both Indian Creek, and Pure Gold make excellent chokes. Either will serve you well.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

I have had great success in both of my 870's with Remington's Super Full Turkey Choke.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:09 PM
PHA
Fork Horn

Indian Creek here.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

primos tight wad...great price and it delievers...im sooting rem. high velocity mags...3inch number 5's....out of my rem. 870 12 ga.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
Both Indian Creek, and Pure Gold make excellent chokes. Either will serve you well.

Either will out shoot anything out there. I've done it...
Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Yours is a question that will be asked many times between now and the start of turkey season. There are so many good chokes out there now the answer is that there probably isn't a "best choke tube" because you can get a great pattern with many of them shooting heavier-than-lead turkey loads.

Questions to help determine a "best" choke for an individual hunter and gun are as follows:

1. What shell do you plan to shoot? Federal makes a shell with a wad designed to stay with the shot column longer. These shells generally shoot best out of non-ported chokes that are not super constricted. Ported chokes are designed to strip the wad from the shot at the muzzle or slightly beyond and the porting also reduces felt recoil but increases muzzle blast and noise.

2. Hevishot or lead? Hevishot is denser and harder than lead, produces tighter patterns and allows you to use a smaller shot size due to greater retained energy. It is also much more expensive than lead loads.

3. How tight do you want to go? Super tight patterns are great if you aim perfectly every time. I look for uniformity in a pattern first, then try to tighten it. In general (not always), tighter tubes produce tighter patterns up to a certain point. You can overchoke a gun, expecially if you are using "traditional" lead loads, with the result being blown patterns. "Heavier than lead" shot is less susecptible to this because it is much harder than lead.

4. How much money and time do you wish to spend finding the "best" choke? Some of these chokes are expensive, as are the hevishot loads made by both the large companies and custom manufacturers. The Nitro Company custom 3.5", 2.25oz triplex (4X5X7) loads I shoot in my Mossberg 835 cost nearly $6.00 per shell, but nothing compares with the pattern they shoot. Prior to that I used Winchester or Federal 3", 2 oz lead turkey loads out of an 870 Express (factory Remington "turkey" tube) and was very satisfied for 20 years of turkey hunting with that gun. The turkeys I killed with it over the years didn't seem to care either.

My recommendations:

1. If you plan on shooting lead loads, aren't really interested on spending the money or time finding the absolute "best" choke for your new 870, then buy a Primos Jellyhead, Undertaker, or Remington turkey choke. Shoot it to verify that it is throwing a reasonably uniform pattern at 40 yards. Make sure the POI of the center of the pattern matches your point of aim. Go hunting.

2. If you really want to find the "best" choke for your gun and get the tightest, most uniform pattern possible, then go with an Indian Creek or Pure Gold. I believe both these companies allow you exchange tubes of different constrictions to find the right one for your gun and load. You will need to shoot hevier-than-lead loads from different manufacturers to determine which load and shot size is best for your gun and choke. This process is time consuming and expensive. You may choose to upgrade your aiming system from a bead to more precise devices such as red-dot or low-power scopes. I use a low-power scope and really like it.

At the top of the page there is a section called tips and tactics. Swamp Collie wrote a nice post about how to pattern a turkey gun. You can find some things there that would be helpful.

The shotgunning forum on the NWTF website is also a terrific source of information for those wishing to optimize their turkey gun patterns. In addition to this site I might suggest it as well. The difference is that board is pretty technical while this one is more oriented to hunters.

Good luck

Last edited by mouthcaller; 01-08-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.