Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth call question

Old 12-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mouth call question

I was/am learning to use a mouth call. It seems like I really spit a lot during calling. Is this normal? Also, it seems like at times I really have to blow hard to get a high pitch, not sure how I can get this better. Any help?
Dandbuck
Old 12-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to spit a lot with i first started to use mouth calls. I think you have to either put the call farther back in your mouth or push up harder with your tounge or do both.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

If I put it any farther in my mouth, I get no sound out. I am biting down on the call hard, actually cutting into the fabric with my teeth. has anyone had to cut down the size of the call to fit it in their mouth?
Dandbuck
Old 12-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dandbuck
If I put it any farther in my mouth, I get no sound out. I am biting down on the call hard, actually cutting into the fabric with my teeth. has anyone had to cut down the size of the call to fit it in their mouth?
Dandbuck
You are trying too hard.
I tried cutting them, but only ended up throwing them away.
Relax a little while trying.
Think of it like whispering.
You want the person to hear you, but no one elase to hear what you are saying.
Put it in your mouth, press up with your tonge.
And whisper chalk, chalk chalk.
And adjust the pressure of your tonge, untile it starts to sound right.
Remember real turkeys don't sound perfict.
Like my spelling lol.
Try to whisper pee pee pee, chalk chalk chalk, pee pee pee, chalk chalk chalk.
Get a primos CD, or other CD, with the sounds to imatate.
Or look at the back of the package, your call came out of.

Good Luck

jrbsr
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

I have to cut mine down. Thats the first thing I do. I also bend mine to fit the roof of my mouth better. jrbsr is correct as well.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

To start, you could be using the wrong mouth call. Every mouth call works different because of the thickness of the latex and the number of reeds in the call. The easyest to start with is a double reed call. Don't start with a single or multi reeds more then two and with no cuts in the reeds at all. Clear calls are best...

The tape can be cut off a little at the time, but do not bend the frame. If the frame is to large drop down in size. I call off the frame only so there is not such thing as cutting to much off.

Place the call half way back on your tongue and place it up in your palete. First take a breath of air and as you apply presure up with your tongue say SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH , you should get a high pitch. If not apply more presure with your tonge and do the step over until so.

Once you get the high note hold it as long as you can and take only enough presure off to hear the note drop in pitch. Once you hear the change in the note, put the the presure back up to the high note. Do this over and over faster and faster until both notes come together and create the yelp....

Hope that helps...
Old 12-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Spike

You dont have to blow hard on a mouth call.Tounge pressure on the reeds will give you higher pitch sounds.Like JRBSR said dont try to hard Its efffortless when u get the basics down.Not sure about the spitting part maybe try a smaller frame call.I know a dry mouth is not good for calling,I keep A drink of water w me while hunting.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

I will work on some of these tips. I will try to relax and not blow too hard.
Thanks everyone!
Dandbuck
Old 12-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't blow on it like you are blowing up a balloon, but more short pressure from your stomach.

BTW ; they make smaller ones for us smaller guys.

Mini Sonic Dome Double

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...827&hasJS=true
Old 12-22-2009, 01:23 PM
JW
Super Moderator

And you can try to trim a few to make them fit better as Adrian has told you.

I do that on several of mine - is trim away some of the excess tape. But I start slow and yes I have runined a few.

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.