Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shotgun scope

Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by chipchippy
Any input on this scope for a Mossberg 835. Pro's Con's Thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cabelas-Pine-Rid...item27a652c175

I can't help you on the Pine Ridge scope because I don't have any experience with it. I would question its ability to handle the recoil of that gun frankly.

I also have a Mossberg 835 with the ported barrel, ported Star-dot choke and limbsaver recoil pad. Before the ported choke and better recoil pad that gun would absolutely stomp you shooting the 3.5", 2.25 oz Nitro company triplex loads that I use. With double porting and that pad the gun now is very shootable, more of a big push instead of a sharp kick. When I switched to the hevishot loads and tightened the pattern I scoped the gun because I was afraid I would miss at close range.

I put the Bushnell Trophy 4 X 1.75 scope on it go get through my first season with the gun because it was relatively inexpensive and I liked the circle X reticle. I planned to put a better scope on it later, one that I was confident would hold up to the recoil. After three seasons, 9 turkeys and some range work it is still on the gun and has performed flawlessly.

Pros and Cons of scopes

Pros
1. More accurate aiming (necessitated for me by super tight patterns)
2. Magnification of the image (useful as long as you don't underestimate the range).
3. Ability to range the bird using the Circle X reticle
4. No batteries to replace, no electronics to fail. doesn't require turning on.
5. With good mounts I am unconcerned about it getting knocked off zero with proper care
6. Ability to more easily get the point of aim on the center of the pattern than fixed sights

Cons
1. Even though my scope wears the Butler Creek scope covers, the exterior lenses can get wet due to breath or rain
2. Potential for the zero to get knocked off due to internal scope failure of damage from accidental "mishaps" like dropping it on pavement, etc.
3. Potential to misjudge range with a magnified image. I look at the bird without the scope until I'm ready to fire in order to avoid this
Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using a "cheap" Redhed re dot scope for 3 years with no problems. Many guns sights are not on to point of aim. A scope will correct this. Remenber we're shooting stationary targets and not on the wing. With the tight chokes and powerful shells a scope is helpful. Unless of course you really know your gun.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PHA
My friends and I have had good luck with the Bushnell Trophy 1.75x4. They can handle the recoil of the 12 ga 3.5's with no problem. they have a circle-x reticle.
Exactly I put one on my SX2 and I love it and to everyone who bashes scopes on turkey guns i felt the same way until my eyes starting going bad I have a diease in my shooting eye that will make me go blind some day and this is my way to extend my hunting until I have to become a lefty.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PHA
My friends and I have had good luck with the Bushnell Trophy 1.75x4. They can handle the recoil of the 12 ga 3.5's with no problem. they have a circle-x reticle.
X2........My Dad, Brother and I all have the Trophy 1.75 x 4 on our 870's.....we've had them on for years, never had a problem with the recoil.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PYbuckhunter
X2........My Dad, Brother and I all have the Trophy 1.75 x 4 on our 870's.....we've had them on for years, never had a problem with the recoil.
Thanks for sharing that. My 870 shooting 3" shells kicks harder than my Mossberg shooting 3.5"s, so your experience is good to know. As I indicated above I fully expected to replace this scope with a Leupold or Nikon Monarch but now I might just keep it on there.

One thing I wish it had are Bushnell's Rainguard coatings. I have a Bushnelle Elite 3200 4x12 on a .243 and the rainguard thing really works. You can fog it with your breath or have raindrops all over the ocular lens and still see well enough for a shot. Amazing.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

For you Naysayers on using scopes on a turkey gun out there - talk to me in about 5- t0 10 yrs when your eyesight goes and you can not focus correctly putting the front bead in the back cradle on a pair of open sights Tru Glo or not!

And then for those who use NO sighting system at all on your turkey gun - don't come back asking why I missed a bird?
IF you use a choke designed as the tightest choke possible to turkey hunt and hunt at close range - well yor pattern is just short of a shotshell slug!

AND Shooting today's turkey loads in today's turkey guns is nothing even close to wing shooting on any gsme bird either upland or waterfowl.

This ain't pass shooting folks - not even close and you will wound more than you kill!

Call 'em up close - Take the challenge!

Ps I put a Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro on my 11-87 6 yrs ago. From the get go that I got that scope dialed in - I have not had to adjust it. I do check the pattern - each yr.

JW

Last edited by JW; 01-10-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW!
For you Naysayers on using scopes on a turkey gun out there - talk to me in about 5- t0 10 yrs when your eyesight goes and you can not focus correctly putting the front bead in the back cradle on a pair of open sights Tru Glo or not!

And then for those who use NO sighting system at all on your turkey gun - don't come back asking why I missed a bird?
IF you use a choke designed as the tightest choke possible to turkey hunt and hunt at close range - well yor pattern is just short of a shotshell slug!

AND Shooting today's turkey loads in today's turkey guns is nothing even close to wing shooting on any gsme bird either upland or waterfowl.

This ain't pass shooting folks - not even close and you will wound more than you kill!

Call 'em up close - Take the challenge!

Ps I put a Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro on my 11-87 6 yrs ago. From the get go that I got that scope dialed in - I have not had to adjust it. I do check the pattern - each yr.

JW
Word! Make sure to check that scope every year. And if you change shells!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

if you are shootin a 3.5 DO NOT GET A CHEAP SCOPE i cracked a red dot scope
Old 01-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Spike

I have an 835 and I put a tru-glow red dot scope on it, I've not had any problems with the recoil knocking the sights off. Then I have an 870 with a regular shotgun scope on it and it works fine. The only thing i dont like about the red dot scope is if you leave it on the battery in it will go dead.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

I used a BSA red dot for years with no trouble. Only limitation/ drawback was battery life was short, so you had to leave it off for long periods...turn it on right before you expect a shot. Now I use HI Viz Tri Viz fiber optics. Fully adjustable and fast aquiring. That's my best recommendation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.