Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Camo on guns....

Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Spike

Question Camo on guns....

As I've said in other forums, I'm new to the sport. Turkey hunting is more plentiful in my part of the state, and so I imagine I'll be doing it more than deer...and I am jsut now gathering gear for my leap into the hunting world. By gear, I mean guns of my own as well. My question is this, how important is having a gun with camo stock and barrel to hunting Turkey? I know it isn't a must-have for deer, but I wasn't sure otherwise. I would appreciate any feedback and advice I can get. Thanks..
Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

A good camo autoloader doubles as a turkey and waterfowler gun.

However, the best "camo" is to remain motionless (period).
Old 11-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Turkeys have excellent eye sight. Any glare from sunlight might spook them. I would say camo it. Thats just me though. Also welcome to the awesome world of turkey hunting. Be sure to enter our spring turkey hunting contest. Its the biggest and best contest on the net. You will also have a good time meeting others who are addicted to this great sport. If you have any questions feel free to ask...
Old 11-27-2009, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

camo on the gun isn't important, but it helps
Old 11-30-2009, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

i agree with bowhuntercop just dont move and it wont matter
Old 12-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

I agree, camo isn't really important, as long as your gun isn't shiny. A Matt Black gun is actually one that I prefer, it's always in style!!! Movement is the real key, even a camoed gun can spook the bird if your move at the wrong time. Besides, a Matt Black gun will normally run cheaper than a camoed one!!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

the color camo I don't think matters much.

camo vs. no camo, if you don't move this probably won't matter either, but turkeys don't always come out where you want them to, so having to move/adjust your position, having a camo gun would probably help you get into position better without alerting them.

get yourself a turkey gun, why not? everyone who hunts turkeys needs a dedicate turkey gun IMO. and you can use it for so much else...
Old 12-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't have to be much. Get a cheap roll of gun & bow tape. Even if you only camo the barrel, it'll help.

Many of the firearms mfgrs offer turkey guns in camo or matte black. Is the camo pattern worth an extra $20? Up to you.

If you go with the tape, remember to remove if after the season is over. Some of the cloth tapes will hold moisture and/or sweat which can lead to surface rust.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

not an expert but have shot a few turkeys and none with camo gun half of them were with bright shiny wood stocked blued barrell browning stay still stay in shadows or hunt from blind or buy a camoed gun if you dont have one already the price diff isnt much, just cause its camo doesnt mean it wont work for every other animal youll ever hunt. just personally like the looks of a (traditional) wood gun in the cabinet. If anyone says you cant get a turkey if your gun isnt camo do it anyway just to prove them wrong
Old 12-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Wink

Originally Posted by baileym62
not an expert but have shot a few turkeys and none with camo gun half of them were with bright shiny wood stocked blued barrell browning stay still stay in shadows or hunt from blind or buy a camoed gun if you dont have one already the price diff isnt much, just cause its camo doesnt mean it wont work for every other animal youll ever hunt. just personally like the looks of a (traditional) wood gun in the cabinet. If anyone says you cant get a turkey if your gun isnt camo do it anyway just to prove them wrong
I agree with BM, if your setup is in shadows or buckbrush and move slowly, you have winning chance. Ive had turkeys run right to me when they have the sun in their eyes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.