Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Ultra Light-Weight S/A Turkey Guns- Need Your Advice >

Ultra Light-Weight S/A Turkey Guns- Need Your Advice

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ultra Light-Weight S/A Turkey Guns- Need Your Advice

Old 05-20-2003, 05:41 PM

Default Ultra Light-Weight S/A Turkey Guns- Need Your Advice

This is my first new post as a new member of this forum and I know that it is likely that the following question has ben discussed before but I really would like your input. I am wanting to purchase a new 12 gauge semiautomatic shotgun for turkey hunting but want a gun much less heavy and cumbersome than the big 3.5 in. 12 gauge Remington 11-87 SPS Supermag with 28 inch barrel that I have been using. I have identified a few options but most are foreign-made. for example, Stoeger, Traditions, Charles Daly, and Verona. Of these, only Charles Daly offers a 3.5 inch chamber (in their Maxi Mag models - 6 and 7/8 lb.) that I really would like to have; the others offer only a 3.0 inch chamber. These have aluminum receivers and all weigh less than 7 lb with the Traditions right at 6.0 lb. I am focusing on a 24 inch barrel. Most are also fairly low cost compared to the major brands.
I would be grateful for any and all input as to your experiences with or advice on any of these (or any other light-weight S/A) brands of S/A 12 gauge 3.0-3.5 inch shotguns, particularly the Charles Daly 3.5 inch Maxi Mag and Stoeger 2000. I have heard that there are big quality, reliability, and repair/parts concerns with such foreign-made shotguns but have also heard that many of these companies have made big strides recently in addressing such issues. Also, what are yor opinions on the real killing power and pattern/spread advantages of a 3.5 versus a 3.0 inch shell? Would a 3.0 chamber be sufficient? Any comments, particularly actual experiences, would be much appreciated. Thanks.
BoB Dale
Old 05-20-2003, 06:22 PM

Default RE: New to Forum and Question on Turkey Guns

I`ve used 3" guns and 3 1/2" guns and currently I use a 3 1/2" gun that patterns 3" shells great so thats what I shoot. I would probably not have got the 3 1/2" gun in hindsight. I would have saved about $100 too.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ultra Light-Weight S/A Turkey Guns- Need Your Advice

From my experience with Charles Daly' s you better leave them alone, I have seen stuff go wrong with them that you would never see go wrong with some of the other brands.

Have you thought about a pump action, There are several to choose from in all price ranges and quailities.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:36 PM

You forgot one.....

http://www.franchiusa.com/model912/

Franchi Model 912. Great shooting gun and feels good! They are selling for around $650 in my area. Franchi, Stooger, Benelli and Beretta are all owned under the same company also.

Good luck to ya' .
Old 05-20-2003, 08:39 PM

Bobdale, a 3" mag turkey load is more than sufficient to kill a turkey at any reasonable range. Unless you just want to punish your shoulder, you don' t really need a 3 1/2" mag to kill turkeys. As far as guns go, get a Remington and save yourself some money in the long term. If you don' t get one now, you' ll want one later! You rarely ever hear of anybody having trouble getting a Remington turkey gun to pattern good. Remember, you get what you pay for!
Old 05-20-2003, 10:48 PM

Iam totally happy w/ the Mossberg 500 3" . If you end up going pump, it has a 24" barrel.You can pick one up @" Wally World" for around $250.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:13 PM

Get a Benelli SBE w/ synthetic camo. You can' t go wrong. Will shoot 3 1/2" if you need/want, will shoot 3" , 2 3/4" , no muss, no fuss. Is versatile, lighter in weight. I use mine on waterfowl, pheasants and turkeys.

As far as sufficiency of a 3" chambered gun, I ask why would you ever limit yourself? I have a Browning Citori O/U chambered for 2 3/4" only, and I frequently regret it, due to that limitation.

My wife killed a tom stone cold dead this spring with a 2 3/4" 20 gauge. Of course, he was only 15 yards away. If you want to shoot at max range (40 yards, maybe more), you' ll want 3 1/2" . From what I' ve read, I think I' ll be shooting Nitro HeviShot 4x5x6 custom loads at turkeys from now on (with my Benelli SBE).

I also wonder if an O/U 10 gauge with screw-in chokes (I/C and full) may not be the ultimate " best" turkey gun--gives a wide pattern at close range, where most turkeys are shot, a tight pattern for the hung-up tom or second volley, and can throw a nice charge/load. I' ve thought about that a lot, and am sorely tempted to start an ultimate turkey gun savings account, but my SBE seems to suffice, for now.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont see the need for a 3.5 inch gun....a 1/4 oz more shot...a ton of hurt..and maybe a few more pellets in a good pattern..but 3 inch guns hang with the 3.5 inchers when it comes to patterns most of the time...just a few more pellets and a little bit more powere which isnt needed much unless you go past 40 yds.....ive read from guys on here about 35 yds kills with a 20ga...i think about the only light small semi in 3.5 inch there is that is a good gun is a beneli SBE...very costly compared to some....if you want a pump the remington 870 express magnum turkey gun is good and say that from expirience...i own one...nice small 21 inch barrel....light as can be.....and pattened great for me....only 3 inch mag but the pattern it threw im confident out to 40yds easy....i love it...and it was cheap too...good luck.....
Old 05-22-2003, 10:57 AM

As far as recoil is concerned, I' ve never felt the recoil from a 3 1/2" shell with my SBE when I' ve shot at a turkey, but I have occasionally noticed bruises on my arm/shoulder afterwards from having not placed the gun in proper shooting position, and one time I recall that the recoil knocked me over when I shot a 3 1/2" shell at a tom from an awkward, twisted sitting position. I rarely shoot 3 1/2" shells at geese, because too many shots will give me a headache from the pounding. But since I mostly only shoot one shell per turkey, and only 3-4 turkeys per year, I figure the extra 1/2 ounce of lead (next year HeviShot) is worth it, to be sure I effectively harvest my bird.