HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Natural voice or do you use a call.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/30387-natural-voice-do-you-use-call.html)

maytom 05-18-2003 08:58 PM

Natural voice or do you use a call....

When Owl hooting? I think I can do a better job with my voice, but I still carry a call in my vest!! I was wondering what some of you guys prefer?;)

Bobgobble2 05-18-2003 09:19 PM

RE: Natural voice or do you use a call....

Nice pic Paul!As for owling,dont do it way out west here buddy!We dont have' who cooks for you who cooks for you all" !Lot of great horned and burrowing owls,but if you really want to make a turkey sound-off primarily on the roost in these parts you cant go wrong with a coyote howler!Once on the ground a goose flute or a pilleated woodpecker work great!!:)

wacker 05-18-2003 09:27 PM

I use both but have much better results roosting in the evenings with a canister type owl hooter.

huntnma 05-19-2003 03:30 AM

strickly my own voice.........pretty good at it too.........[:-]
workin' out in the woods gets really lonely at times and you learn to keep yourself sane...lol........

totoe 05-19-2003 07:47 AM

...I have learned since childhood,to make the squal of a owl including the laugh
with my voice...[8D].....[8D]...

bogobble 05-19-2003 10:51 AM

I use the Primos hoot flute mostly, but bought the palmers hoot tube before season.
it' s the best soundin reed type owl hoot I' ve heard on tv. the Primos camp owl sounds good also.

workin' out in the woods gets really lonely at times and you learn to keep yourself sane...lol........
LOL ma! I' d like to be out there hid somewhere and listen to ya talk to them owls.:D

TN_Hunter 05-19-2003 02:26 PM

Natural voice only! I have only owned one owl hooter, and that was because I was hunting out of state and came down with the flu and lost my voice!

Natty Bumpo 05-19-2003 08:52 PM

I also use my voice. Lots of barred owls around here and they usually call for me very early in the morning. If they dont and it is about to get light and no birds have gobbled yet, I rip out a loud whooo Just one long note with the gutteral sound at the end. This is the sound that the owls make sometimes and it usually gets a shock gobble. If that doesn' t work I wait about 2 minutes and yell out a who cooks for you who cooks for you all. I have tried cannister owl hooters and they weren' t loud enough.

Adrian J Hare 05-20-2003 04:55 AM

Voice , but I do carry one aswell, I have found that the different pitches sometimes will set the birds off gobbling...BT

TScottW99 05-20-2003 05:02 AM

I use either a Palmer' s Hoot Tube or a Camp Owl. These two calls do much better then I can ;)