Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

too many blasted hens

Old 05-05-2003, 04:59 PM

Default too many blasted hens

well this is how my story goes.... this was my first season of turkey hunting so alot of it was a learning experience and trying to figure out the birds. the property that i was hunting on is about an hour from the house, but i was able to get up there and do some scouting before the season. I saw turkeys everytime, and all day the woods would be full of cacklin and other hen chat, i even saw a gobbler one time. i knew there were a bunch of turkeys up there so i was excited. my first morning i saw seven hens, a jake, and two big ole gobblers in a field about a hundred yards away. i did not know then that i should have moved toward them, but now i know not to sit and wait. the next time that i was able to go up there it was raining but i sat out there as a pure white hen walked about ten yards away from me. i was hopping that he would be behind her but no luck. a couple more times and nothing finally this past saturday i saw and heard nothing but a few hens yelping through the woods. i have not heard the first gobble and i have tried everything. on saturday i was standing out in the field by the road where i parked my truck and a old farmer pulled up and started talking to me about the birds that he had seen. thats when we told me that about 5 or 6 weeks ago he had seen 44 birds in the field that i was parked in-- sounds good i thought until he told me that there were 42 hens and 2 toms. he also told me that two of the hens were solid white-- pretty cool (i shoulda shot her). so anyway i think that i have too many hens and will never kill those toms until i knock down a few ladies. what do yall think?
Old 05-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: too many blasted hens

Yeah them ol' ladies can be a problem, 42 hens and just 2 gobblers is just about unreal, I bet some of those hens were really jakes.

It don' t take 42 hens to ruin your plans all it takes is one LOL.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:22 PM

Ya. i agree with strut. what i try to do is actually scare away the hens. since the hens(around here) usually roost away from the toms, i scare them away with a coyote call, or i just walk right up to there tree. Just sometimes they fly toward the toms. that sucks.

Trk. Merc.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Their cryin about hen' s here in Ky, yet come fall gun season, they bout have a stroke when they find out they r legal to shoot! Go figure.