HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Seeing any Poults?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/296763-seeing-any-poults.html)

nmblackgold 06-27-2009 05:56 PM

Seeing any Poults??

There should be some fryer-sized birds out there by now......anyone seeing them?

superstrutter 06-27-2009 07:45 PM

RE: Seeing any Poults??

Unfortunately no. The landowner next to me told me today that he busted a hen off her nest last week. He had no idea she was there and said he will not go back and disturb her. She must have failed the first time. Predators are horrible on eggs and poults.I sure hope she is successful this go around. I need some new turkeysin myarea badly. I will have three two year old gobblers next season in the area. They came from the only hatch I had on my property last Spring. I sawthe three jakes a few times while hunting this Spring.Haven't heard anyone saying much about poults down here. It was just the opposite last year. They seemed to be everywhere.

nmblackgold 06-28-2009 06:51 AM

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Unfortunately no. The landowner next to me told me today that he busted a hen off her nest last week. He had no idea she was there and said he will not go back and disturb her. She must have failed the first time. Predators are horrible on eggs and poults.I sure hope she is successful this go around. I need some new turkeysin myarea badly. I will have three two year old gobblers next season in the area. They came from the only hatch I had on my property last Spring. I sawthe three jakes a few times while hunting this Spring.Haven't heard anyone saying much about poults down here. It was just the opposite last year. They seemed to be everywhere.
Sorry to hear that superstrut, :(, wow, this really seems to run in cycles. What type of predators do you have......skunks, coons etc.?? I know in many cases, water is a limiting factor, probably not a concern where you hunt......swamps??

All the conditions here in New Mexico seem to be ideal, early Mt rains, and a invasion of locust should provide plenty of bugs for little ones. But next year could be a bust. We didn't see a single jake, we were overrun with 2 year olds (that was fun) and saw a few 3 year olds, but no jakes. So we need a good hatch this year to get back on track.We may not know until the deer/elk season what we have for a hatch....take car SS.

superstrutter 06-28-2009 10:27 AM

No swamps where my land is.Hardwood-pine mixed androlling hills with bottoms full of white oaks. Two small creeks run through my property. We actually had ideal Spring weather. Plenty of rain for the young animals. We are now currently in an extremely hot and dry period though.Coonsare everywhere here and are probably the worst predator on turkey eggs. Crows are bad too. Everything wants to eat a poult. I'm really surprised even 20% of all poults make it through the first year. BTW, it's funny how some people think Louisiana is one big swamp.

nmblackgold 06-28-2009 12:12 PM

Sorry for the swamp assumption, I guess thats the part of La I am most familiar with...your place sounds like a turkey paradise.

Steven McBee 06-29-2009 05:51 AM

the turkey population has gone down the last couple years in north missouri IMO the amount ofrain we have gotten in the past couple springs has created bad flooding problems and floods the nests, plus the predator population has increased

Phil from Maine 06-29-2009 05:51 PM

I have been seeing alot of young Poults around these parts. I saw 2 hens and a tom today and both hens had poults with them. About 3 miles down the road and i saw another hen with a small flock of Poults with her as well. I didn't think i would be seeing very much in the line of young ones as well. We have been getting rained on almost every day up here for quite some time now. For the month of June we are already breaking record rain fall amounts.. It makes it good for seeing some wildlife though as they tend to travel and rest along the dirt roads up here.

4evrhtn 06-30-2009 07:03 AM

Took the wife's car to get inspected 2 weekends ago. On way home had to stop2 times to let hens cross with the young ones in tow. First time was one hen and about 9young and the second time 2 hens with a bunch of young. Haven't seen any in the woods yet though.

huntnma 07-05-2009 03:06 AM

ours are almost grown now....saw some the other day ...you could actually tell the males from the females......

DTC 07-06-2009 05:28 AM

Had 5 hens and 27 little ones in the field south of my house this morning. Went to Florida last week and saw several hens with poults in Mississippi.