Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What is your favorite turkey >

What is your favorite turkey

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is your favorite turkey

Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Spike

So far I've only taken 1 bird, this year A double beared Gobbler at about 25 yds with the 12. Wasn't a "typical" hunt. Wife got off work early and ran in the house says "Get your gun theres a bird down the road in the field. Knowing my wifes errrrr lack of knowledge and when she saw the birds she hit the gas. I actually told her "Prolly a pheasant." I was wrong she was right. She only saw 1 hen, but when she stopped and I got out. I saw about 10. Grabbed gun and loaded.
Off from the flock was a nice bird, for me anyway. Then I notice as he started for the flock he was bearded. And was on the move, luckily he wasn't running just moving at a good pace. 1st shot dropped him in his tracks. A few small jakes were mixed in with the hens on the far side of the flock from me. Glad i saw the Tom before he started to move.

Over all he had 2 beards, 9 and 6 in. 1 1/4 in spurs. and was at least 20 lbs. We ate roast turkey same nite. GREAT bird.

My luck will prolly never be as good. I know when I went with our oldest we saw 1 (On public land) take flight when we were goin back to truck, unloaded. And had a few respond to calls but on the wrong side of a large pond. And a few more that would answer 1/4 mile off but never closer. And if I called closer they wouldn't. So all hunting techniques failed and a spur and pounce worked somehow.

This fall I have hopes of arrowing a bird if the chance presets itself. I have located 2 flocks already and they are staying in 1 spot each. Same spot 4 days going strong. Should the bow not cut it I will still have Oct to bag a bird with the gun. High hopes, and as it sits. alot of oppertunity I hope.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember my first year hunting birds. I went out alone in a blind and set up in an area with fresh sign. I heard gobbles all morning, but they seemed to be moving away from me. I continued to call every 30 minutes or so with no response. About 1000, I decided to take a little nap before heading to my evening spot. I woke about 1030 and looked out at my decoys and saw three hens (swore I only put 2 out). Anyway, the live hen moved and 30 seconds later I saw the tom she had in tow. Ended up with a 22lb 11 inch beard and 1 1/8in spurs turkey. I knew it then just like I know it now - I'll take lucky over good when I get the chance.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Spike

Every bird I shoot everytime I hunt will be so much memorable for me,I am counting not on the birds I caught but the experiences I had while hunting them.