Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke question?

Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default Choke question?

Long story short. I have a Browning BPS 10 gauge. Beautiful gun but i'm not impressed with the patterns i'm getting now with the factory full choke (.740 constriction)shooting lead 3 1/2" 4 shot. 50yards i only had5 BB's in the head and neck region.I'm notsure which would betterfit my needs, a factory extra full choke(.730constriction) or a primos jelly head(.695). How much tighter will the pattern be with the jelly head versus the extra full? I would like to be confident in the killing power at 55-60yds but i dont want it to be too tight for those 30yd and less shots. Maybe i'm asking for too much. Any info is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Zach
Old 05-21-2009, 05:11 PM

Default RE: Choke question?

id say go with the jellyhead, ive heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

If you want a better pattern at 50 yards, and yet not be too tight at 30 yds, then go with the middle ground...the factor extra full at .73.

A 30 yard pattern is more practical in my opinion, at least where I hunt, 50 yard shots will not present themselves too often, as there will most likely be trees or other obstacle in the way.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can try to put too much lead through a choke and it sprays instead of patterns...I'd try some loads with less shot and the choke you have and see what happens...
Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

You can try to put too much lead through a choke and it sprays instead of patterns...I'd try some loads with less shot and the choke you have and see what happens...
I'm shooting 2 1/4oz 4 shot. You're saying stick with the 4 shot but try to find 2oz loads?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

After seeing the results on several different shotguns...... I wouldn't hesitate to equip your BPS with an Indian Creek, Black Diamond Strke choke. The groupings and shot densities will blow your mind! [:-]
Old 05-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, drop down to 2 oz loads...Might even try some 5s and different brands...

Old 05-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fatsbucknut

Long story short. I have a Browning BPS 10 gauge. Beautiful gun but i'm not impressed with the patterns i'm getting now with the factory full choke (.740 constriction) shooting lead 3 1/2" 4 shot. 50yards i only had 5 BB's in the head and neck region. I'm not sure which would better fit my needs, a factory extra full choke(.730 constriction) or a primos jelly head(.695). How much tighter will the pattern be with the jelly head versus the extra full? I would like to be confident in the killing power at 55-60yds but i dont want it to be too tight for those 30yd and less shots. Maybe i'm asking for too much. Any info is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Zach
If you want patterns at 55-60 yards you are going to have to shoot something with more pellets in it than #4 shot.
Since you have a 10ga your options are a little more limited, but you should do fairly well with Hevi-13 #5's. If you really want a great pattern get Nitro's hevi straight #7's.
The ammo you shoot will be more important than the choke, but you wont be heading in the wrong direction if you get a Pure Gold in either .690 or .710
Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want patterns at 55-60 yards you are going to have to shoot something with more pellets in it than #4 shot.
I agree. It's been a rare shotgun of any type that I have seen with my own eyesthat firedwhat I would call a good killing pattern at 50 yards with lead number 4 shot. But the problem with a 10 gauge is that most of the shells being loaded for it by factories out there seem to be geared towards geese or ducks. There are not a lot of loads out there in shot sizes smaller than 4. The rise in popularity of the 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge super mag has not helped improve the 10 gauge ammo situation either. Winchester does load number 5 shot intheir Supreme turkey line of shellsfor the 10 gauge and at 15 bucks a box that would be the cheapest thing to try. Federal also used to load number 5's in 10 gauge in their Grand Slam Turkey line if you can still find them. It should improve your patterns some just by the increased number of pellets and number 5's will kill them just as dead. I would recommend an after market choke as well. IL-Cornfed recommened an Indian Creek and I agree they are one of the best. Problem is that I'm not sure they make a choke for a 10 gauge. The Jellyhead is usually a pretty good choke in a lower price range. For a little more money I think Pure Gold makes a 10 gauge Browning turkey choke and their chokes are excellent.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks everyone for the info. Before next season i'm gonna pick up a Puregold choke with a .710 constriction and some 5 shot. should do the trick. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Choke question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.