Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tough New Jersey Season

Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tough New Jersey Season

This season was by far the toughest, but still had a blast. I hunted at least 2 or 3 days per week. Heard birds everyday but 2. The 2nd week of the season I had a hog of bird come in but he hung up at 70 plus yards. I did managed to take a jake last week. I thought I was the only one having a tough season, but from reading many post from others on here, hunters seem to be having a tough season nationwide
Old 05-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tough New Jersey Season

My season was a total bust this spring too... I did manage to take a jake...
Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tough season here too. Would be total tag soup if it wasn't for the jake that landed right where my gun was pointing at the time...
Old 05-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on those jakes! There's nothing like killing your first turkey!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't see anywere in the post were anybody said it was there first bird...

I don't normally shoot jakes. But when you have a rough season on PUBLIC land sometimes you re-think the whole "I don't shoot jakes" BS...

I've got over a dozen sets of curvedsharp public land spurs sittin in box next too 2 dozen beards
Old 05-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot jakes if you want too, but I'll save them for when I call for a rookie who wants to take up turkey hunting. Personally, I'll burn my permit before I shoot a dumb jake. And the fact that you say you have all of those spurs and beards makes it evenmore bizzarethat you found it necessary to shoot a jake. Heck, I've called a jake in simply by snapping my fingers. Congratulations on your accomplishment!
Old 05-31-2009, 04:21 PM

It's a mighty insecure hunter who has to belittlesomeone elses legal kill. I'm sure it made you feel good though.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Spike

vt season just as hard as the rest i guess. ended up getting a mature but only 5 5/8 beard and 5/8 spures. still proud. get them when you can
Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bucky6

It's a mighty insecure hunter who has to belittlesomeone elses legal kill. I'm sure it made you feel good though.

My main point was, why do we absolutely have to fill our tag on a jake? We don't. If it makes you feel good, then do it. They're only yearlings. Great accomplishment to take a jake.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

True. You know what they say about opinions. Glad I took my jake though, was sure tasty. I let three walk the next day hoding out for a longbeard. Went the rest of the season seeing nothing. Taking a jake might not be a great accomplishment, but to each his own and tag soup isn't that tasty.

Quick Reply: Tough New Jersey Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.