Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My season in PA

Old 05-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default My season in PA

I am having a terrible season this year. I can not get a bird to talk at all. They are not even gobbling on roost. Ive seen birds here and there, usually i walk up on them which is frustrating. My dad got his bird this year by walking up on him. They are just not talking around here.
Well this morning I finally get a bird to talk, had a hen come in but the gobbler hung up and then moved off. I know that once the hens go sit i will have better luck but this morning I didnt have time to stay out. Then i seen something that made my season alot better. On the way down the hill i seen something move in front of me about 35 yards. I stopped and watched 2 bear cubs run up a tree. I didnt stick around to see momma bear, I just tuned around and went the other way. but thats the first time I've seen a bear in the woods.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My season in PA

Rome, I know the feeling. I'm fairing a little better than you as I did put a bird down the first week. I have a second tag and so far, they're talking on the roost until flydown and shutting up. Heck the bird I did shoot didn't make a sound, he and another tom came in silent late that morning.

In our area, we have quite a few turkeys, a lot of hens. I think that's what is making it tough. They don't need to do a lot of gobbling or the usual to find a hen.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:59 PM

downtown, re you hunting the same property? i had the same problem you have until i went to another property then they were gobbling like crazy, i still didnt kill one tho, but just letting you know what happened w/ my situation.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, thats the thing. One place the birds might be tight lipped but ten miles away some guy just heard the most birds he's ever heard before. Try a new piece of land, if thats possible, and see what happens...
Old 05-20-2009, 03:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting a couple different properties and it is the same. The birds are there but still henned up.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

GIVE UP...those are two words NEVER spoken by a turkey hunter, EVER..just keep plugging away.. sooner or later something will happen, it may not be a gobbler that you've been chasing but one that has moved into an area today looking for love... a woods can be silent one day and full of gobblers the next.. NEVER give up.. the last day is a good as the first and in some cases better.. I've heard dozens of gobblers this week, I haven't fired a shot yet, but I'm plugging away... FAITH-HOPE-CHARITY !!!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

im not giving up. I have this week off from work so i will be out there the rest of the week.