HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Turkeys kicked my butt this weekend (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/294268-turkeys-kicked-my-butt-weekend.html)

Kamil 05-17-2009 02:52 PM

Turkeys kicked my butt this weekend

Binghamton, New York

Saturday morning... gobbler sounds off about 150 yards away. I set up and wait, but he moves down the hill with his hens. I circle around and cut them off. Do some like calling while I'm walking and get a response from some hens. I figured the gobbler would be in tow. I had three hens come in with to no decoy and me 10 yards away waiting for the gobbler, but he never showed. Walking back to the cabin and the gobbler runs across the road about 300 yards from where I saw the hens and 2-- yards the opposite way from where I first heard him in the morning. Tried to call him back in, but he was gone.

Sunday morning...after 12 hours of pouring rain, set out early. It was windy and cold. I hear a gobbler on the roost in the distance. he decided to go the opposite way onto another landowners property. That was game over for the weekend. 3 years in a row and I still can't put a turkey down . There's always next year.

Western MA Hunter 05-18-2009 06:13 AM

RE: Turkeys kicked my butt this weekend

That always seems to be the way it goes!
That's why we keepgoing back!

Siman08/OH 05-18-2009 01:18 PM

Always next year...sounds like me :D

JW 05-18-2009 03:11 PM

had a fellow partner tell me - Ya know JW - I know why you connect - you spend far more time out there.........and I think he is correct......I went birdless 2 seasons I hunted in WI but not the 3rd try and maybe not the last yet this year either. The more time spent - the more you learn about woodsmanship and then know where to be on these birds as you will find areas that year after year hold birds!

JW

dog1 05-19-2009 01:08 AM

I agree with JW!. I'm also retired, but before I retired, I could work any hours I wanted as long as I got the job done, so I definitely could hunt and fish when I wanted to.

I have always believed, regardless of what you are hunting or fishing for, if you have the knowledge & woodmanship, etc., the person that goes the most, will always be successful eventually. Law of averages are on your side.

dog1

superstrutter 05-19-2009 05:29 AM

It's kind of obvious, the more time you spend in the woods, the better chance you will have to bag a bird. Most of us, unlike a certain few[:-], have limited days in the field.

fishstix 05-19-2009 08:20 PM

Hang in there!! enjoy the hunt and the birds. Sooner or later it will come together.