Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Box, pot, mouth call, etc. etc.? >

Box, pot, mouth call, etc. etc.?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Box, pot, mouth call, etc. etc.?

Old 05-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Box, pot, mouth call, etc. etc.?

On a day in and day out basis which one do you get the most response to? What do the turkeys in your area like?

For me it's mouthcalls hands down. For lack of a better way to put it I'd say if I strike 10 turkeys I'm going to strike 90% of them with a mouthcall. Now, it's not because I don't use box, pot, wingbone or tube calls. I'm a collector and have dozens of each type but to be honest I could leave home without em and never miss em. I was wondering if others have found the same thing? Do you think that turkeys in different parts of the country respond to calls differently?

Dan
Old 05-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Box, pot, mouth call, etc. etc.?

Mouth calls first, pot calls 2nd, and box calls third. BUT with that said, I hunt with a buddy in KS. that has a box call that seems to suck'em inon a regular basis better than my mouth calls or my pots, so go figure.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Box for me...I have a Lynch World Champian that is about 35 years old, it seems to be higher pitched than most newer box calls...It will surely get a response...

Once I get the response and settle in, I usually switch to the slate and mouth to pull them in...
Old 05-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me, it's pot type calls first, followed by mouth calls and then probably box. I have found that as our area hunting pressure continues to increase, mouth calls seem to get less and less effective and I find myself relying more on the authentic sounding quality of custom pot style calls. My most effective call is the Wood Haven Cherry Classic Crystal.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Pot then box for me. I just feel the pot calls, for me, just sound the most realistic when I make the sounds.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the best luck w/ my mouth call... I just picked up some of the Adventure Game Calls mouth calls... love them.. favorite yet.
I have had great luck w/ the Primos power crystal as well.
But, I did have a bird the other day that would only answer the box... so, you never know...

Old 05-13-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mouth calls work best most often for me but a box works better on windy days.Pot calls are good but I find they work better after I have a birds attention from one of the others.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Box call, and then the pot call seemed to be the trick this year in NC.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Box for me...I have a Lynch World Champian that is about 35 years old, it seems to be higher pitched than most newer box calls...It will surely get a response...

Once I get the response and settle in, I usually switch to the slate and mouth to pull them in...
Same here, I have a high pitched box that really seems to get them to gobble. I had a tom coming in on a string 2 years ago, everytime I hit the box he would cut me off immediately, I tried the mouth and the pot also and he wouldn't answer those at all, as soon as I hit the box he would cut me off immediately.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mostly use mouth calls but I use a pot call often.

Quick Reply: Box, pot, mouth call, etc. etc.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.