Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

"Pot and Peg" Call

Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 PM

Default RE: "Pot and Peg" Call

I havent used the ringzone but I have a primos power crystal that my brother in law gave me and it sounds good.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slate is proly the easiest to run.
Ceramic is a little harder but produces a slight raspier sound
Crystal higher pitch for long distance and high winds.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:49 PM

I like to have a crystal for long range calling but nothing beats a slate for close in calling so I carry two pot calls with me.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very serious question to those of you that always seem so quick to respond to threads like these...... ARE YOU SERIOUS about suggesting those calls over ALL OTHERS available ?!? [:-]When someone asks if you could truly only use ONE call than you would seriously choose a $15 plastic call. I have to seriously wonder how many of you have EVER tried much of a selection of calls outside of what your local Wal-Mart carries ?!?

Pot and peg style calls are amazing when the best of the best are admired and used. Have any of you ever used or even heard of a Wood Haven, Bud & Betty, American Friction, Cody, Dads, etc, etc. ???

Out of hundreds of calls I've personally tested and used, IF I had to shoose only ONE pot style call,.... it would be the Wood Haven Cherry Classic Crystal. Without a doubt, the most authentic sounding turkey call I've ever heard. This call has actually become a standard for top end custom calls over the last few seasons since its debut. Some of you folks owe it to yourselves to get your hands on one and see what all the talk in the industry is actually about ?

I can assure you, most of you would be amazed to hear what a top end custom call sounds like when compared to the cheap mass produced plastic piece of junk that are offered on you local store shelves! Good luck and good huntin' and please try to be a little more open minded?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Very serious question to those of you that always seem so quick to respond to threads like these...... ARE YOU SERIOUS about suggesting those calls over ALL OTHERS available ?!? [:-]When someone asks if you could truly only use ONE call than you would seriously choose a $15 plastic call. I have to seriously wonder how many of you have EVER tried much of a selection of calls outside of what your local Wal-Mart carries ?!?

Pot and peg style calls are amazing when the best of the best are admired and used. Have any of you ever used or even heard of a Wood Haven, Bud & Betty, American Friction, Cody, Dads, etc, etc. ???

Out of hundreds of calls I've personally tested and used, IF I had to shoose only ONE pot style call,.... it would be the Wood Haven Cherry Classic Crystal. Without a doubt, the most authentic sounding turkey call I've ever heard. This call has actually become a standard for top end custom calls over the last few seasons since its debut. Some of you folks owe it to yourselves to get your hands on one and see what all the talk in the industry is actually about ?

I can assure you, most of you would be amazed to hear what a top end custom call sounds like when compared to the cheap mass produced plastic piece of junk that are offered on you local store shelves! Good luck and good huntin' and please try to be a little more open minded?

What is the price range on some of those custom calls? If I can get the job done with a "cheap, plastic piece of junk," than who cares if it not the best, most custom, expensive call.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with you Nick. So what if the call you call in a bird with dosen't cost $60 bucks or more. If I lose a cheap call or break it I don't feel as bad as I would with a high doller one.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Yep I do have a couple of customs and the primos power crystal sounds as good or better. Money isnt the answer to everything.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a Primos power crystal and found the tone was very good especially for long distance. It really got them riled up and I had super success with it. Then one day I sat down quick with a bird coming and broke it when I sat on the edge of the vest. I bought another and it didn't work worth a darn. The tone was different and it didn't seem to get as high a pitch as the old one. Guard every call that really works because they all are different.[:@]
Old 05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Very serious question to those of you that always seem so quick to respond to threads like these...... ARE YOU SERIOUS about suggesting those calls over ALL OTHERS available ?!? [:-] When someone asks if you could truly only use ONE call than you would seriously choose a $15 plastic call. I have to seriously wonder how many of you have EVER tried much of a selection of calls outside of what your local Wal-Mart carries ?!?

I have to agree. I run several Woodhaven pot and peg calls and my favorite is the Cherry Classic Crystal. Their Real Hen Cherry box call is also well liked...especially by tom turkeys. Woodhaven Calls have been the demise of over 50 gobblers in the last five years for me. Unless they change...I'm not changing.