Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A Dieing Breed?

Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A Dieing Breed?

I've only used them with the kids because kids will be kids and get figidity. I love to sit up against a large tree and see and smell the morning dew and flowers in bloom, I just can't explain that feeling and the anticipation of seeing a turkey only adds more to it. The only thing I do not like while sitting are them damn Missouri rat tree snakes. I took a nice bird one year that fell near a large tree and when I bent down to pick up the tom this damn thing made it's acquaintance with me. I darn near crapped myself and just watched as this thing crawled up the tree. I shoot a blackpowder 12 guage and did not have a loaded gun. I am always "looking" for this somewhere but when the birds come I always forget as I am so into the birds. This is where a blind could get rid of that fear, however I have one with no floor and it sits on the grass or whatever so that snake could still find its way in.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I own a double bull blind and I like it for bow hunting but if I am shot gunning by myself then I like to get out and run and gun. I do have a6 year old and blinds are great for kids. They can move around and it helps to keep them entertained. If it is cool a buddy heater will also keep them warm.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know what howler your attacks are starin to give me a sour taste.Fingerz wasn't attacking anybody but then you attacked him on the sporting thing. You went way overboard on the sarcasim and it'sgetting annoying.
ATTACKS!!! Ha ha, I HARDLY attacked him. BUT instead I am bringing to point that this post is like SOOoooo many others that think THIER way of hunting is better than anybody else way of HUNTING since THIER way is HARDER, or in thier eyes, more SPORTING.. When in fact, many variations come into play that dictate the best way of hunting a particular animal across the nation.Heck, if there aren't BIG woods to call turkeys into, why should my way of hunting get slammed? The turkeys where I hunt pretty much avoid the hard wood creek bottoms, they much prefer to be out in the open, and I suspect that's because of their fear of predators that lurk in the creeks.SO why would I sit in the creeks trying to call turkeys to a spot that I know they don't want to go to begin with? Don't make a whole lot of sense, now does it!!

Yeah I put some sarcasm in my post, which last I checked, sarcasm didn't equal attacks, and if it comes off that way, then my appoligy to Fingerz.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

i am with you here howler.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

you cant call a turkey where he dont wanna go.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Only been out a couple times, with the bow both times. Had I had a shotgun, the game would have been over a lot quicker, and easier at that. I do not anticipate using anything but my bow to hunt these birds. Did some run and gun type hunting with the bow that first day, never had a tom respond or anything, so I did not get a chance to draw with a lot of eyes around. i would think that would be tough, we'll see in a couple weeks when i try again, but no plans to take a gun. My take is that with a blind and a gun, there is not a lot of sport, IMHO. i will most likely try a blind with the bow for morning flydown and first couple hours, but after that hide behind a tree. When in the blind you need the windows open fairly good for the bow, not like a gun where a couple inches will do. I'm a newby though, so ask me again in a few years. So far, I feel these birds are dumb, but they see real well, lol.
Dandbuck
Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

Howler, You need to re-read this thread. I posted it to encourage those that are "only" blind hunter's to not be afraid to change tactics once in a while and to take up the chase. I do blind hunt and will blind hunt in the future. I read a post on here last wk. and the guy that posted it was asking for advice. Apparently he had been hunting a group of birds that day in and day out had been gobbling in the timber behind the field he had his blind set up in. Several of us encouraged him that a different approach might be to start the day out sitting at the base of a tree back in the timber. After several posts back and forth it became apparent that this guy was almost afraid to try turkey hunting outside of his blind. I started thinking about a few guys that I know personally and they hunt solely from their blinds. With that thought in mind I thought I might encourage those that are reluctant to try another approach and suggest that they try hunting outside of their blinds. It's hard to argue that they will become better hunters if they do and they will enjoy more success in the future. Being one dimensional is not condusive to being successful in the turkey hunting arena.
No need to argue here. I was just trying to help some of the new guysand encourage them that it is OK to try something different. I'm just trying to help out.

Dan
Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

you cant call a turkey where he dont wanna go.
Thats true gospel in the church of turkey hunting there. Amen.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt field edges with the woods being "out-of bounds". Absolutley nowhere to hide. If I had big woods, I'd chuck the blind, it's a pain to carry in or out.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

This thread reminds me of the age old public land hunters vs private land hunters. Yawn!

Quick Reply: A Dieing Breed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.