Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A Dieing Breed?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A Dieing Breed?

No blind here. I've never used one and don't plan on using one. I have nothing against them, just not the way I want to hunt. I like to move, so I don't want to be restricted.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. Blind hunting is for the birds. It's almost like cheating. The fun is being in the wide open and that bird not seeing you. Another thing I cant stand is all of these people field hunting, and theirs like 30 birds in a field and you wait for them to come to you. Hell no, not for me. That isnt even hunting to me. Get in the timber and call them in through the trees. Seeing them from 200 yards away in a field is no fun IMO.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

of course seeing them in a field 200 yards away is no fun cause 8 times out of 10 they hang up half way through the field. Personally i think it is slightly easier to call them through timber because of there inability to see farther. i dont try getting them 200 yards across a field myself. i try and setup close to where they will come out so as soon as they see the dekes they are almost in range.

As for the "dieing breed". by looking at the posts on here it is not a dieing breed. i only usea blind when i am bowhunting. i like trying to blend inalso.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

As I said in my first sentence. I'm not against blinds. If you're a guy that uses a blind as a tool that's great. I know there's lots of folks on here that do just that. I'm speaking to those that have never tried hunting them outside of a blind and I think there's also quite a few in that boat too.

Dan
Old 05-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hear ya. it is nice to get out and see the "world"
Old 05-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's almost like cheating.
Yeah, and shooting them with a scoped shotgun that uses 3.5" hevi-shot shells is real "sporting" too, isn't it![:@]

Like putting a blind up is cheating how again? Since when do turkeys have the ability to spot a fully camo'ed hunter, that blends into his/her surroundings perfectly, with a shotgun sitting on a cradle at the ready, and a couple of life like decoys forthe turkey to stare at,make it any harder?

How many turkeys have you shot with in 10 yards of you, with a bow? If it's so easy, why not use rocks or a sling shot! After all, it would be more "sporting", right?

I'd guess that you don't use any of the available "tools" to hunt deer either. Such as tree stands, scent lock, etc. Probably hate hearing of people sitting over bait piles, or sitting at water holes waiting for antelope to come for a drink, or elk, or mule deer for that matter. After all, what "sport" is it to ambush an animal at a spot that it NEEDS to come to for it's own survival!

And you think because people hunt turkeys around "open fields" where the turkeys can be seenat longer distances simply means that once you can see them, they simply can't resist coming to you. Yip, like pulling fish in on a string!!! You crack me up!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Almost forgot, this aughta get your goat. Yip, like shooting fish in a barrel![8D]

Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

AMEN! I was born and raised that way, always on the move turkey huntin'. I hate it when we have to just sit in one or two spots in one day. That's why I like turkey hunting more than deer. You get to move and call. With deer you just sit and hope somethin' will come by. When your in a blind the whole time you have to rely on a turkey to come to you, and as we all know sometimes they don't want to. It also takes the skill out of turkey hunting. If you sit in a blind you just sit and call. When you don't you have to be quiet, slow in your steps but fast to cut a bird off, Make sure everything is in camo or at least something dark green or brown. I'm just sayin' That's how I do it.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

You know what howler your attacks are starin to give me a sour taste.Fingerz wasn't attacking anybody but then you attacked him on the sporting thing. You went way overboard on the sarcasim and it'sgetting annoying.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: mohunter82
Personally i think it is slightly easier to call them through timber because of there inability to see farther.
I agree 100% all else equal. If I am hunting woods, I see no point in using a blind as there are plenty of ways to blend in....if I am shotgun hunting I see no point in using a blind, there is virtually no movement involved.

BUT, when I bowhunt the field edges, I use a blind about half the time. I don't feel it is cheating at all, in fact, I often times feel that it HINDERS my chances...I always feel bogged down when blind hunting, like I am stuck helplessly waiting on the turkey. I like to roam as well, and have as of late been bowhunting sans the blind as well. Hasn't worked out perfectly just yet, but should soon.

If I have a chance of trying to call in a bird through the woods or across a vast field...I'll take the woods anyday of the week. It's just easier in my experiences....the smaller fields surrounded by woods are where the dynamite hunting spots are.

Quick Reply: A Dieing Breed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.