Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how to scout?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 PM

Default how to scout?

I havent seen a topic like this on here in a while and i was wondering some things about how to scout. i know the best way is probably go and listen at daylight and see where theye roosting. ive have been doing this but what about when they dont seem to gobble on the roost? what are more in depth scouting methods? i always hear about finding where they want to go and finding where the strut zones are. maybe i just dont understand this but ive been having some trouble with scouting lately. how do you scout? give me some tips or something. if you want i can get a topo map pic of the area i hunt and see where you think the strut zones and such would be and where i should hunt. Please help me.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how to scout?

You are right, early morning and late evening are the most vocal times of the day. I've never seen turkeys that didn't gobble first thing in the morning, before flying down. Once they are on the ground, I've seen them get quiet pretty quickly, and some mornings and some evenings they aren't AS vocal, but I've never seen a time that they didn't at least gobble some while on the roost.
Once you've got the roost located, it's then a matter of being there early enough to watch and listen for the direction that they move off, and go from there. ALSO, get close to the roost area early afternoon, and watch and listen to the direction that they come from coming back to the roost, and learn from that.
Otherwise, walking the area mid morning to afternoon and doing some calling, you may be able to strike them up and learn where they ahng out.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

I'll post an articl on it. Look for "T.R.'s Tips:Turkey Scouting"
Old 05-06-2009, 02:58 AM

thanks T.R. ok so i went ed listened for the turkeys this morning. i heard 1 gobble at around 6:20. it seemed sorta late becuase ive never heard gobble that late before. he turkey was in the same general area of where ive heard them before and where i thought they were. what should i do now? im going out to listen for them again tommorrow.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

Scientific Research (mine included) shows that most gobbling occurs within a half hour of sunrise. So - I'm guessing the bird (or birds) you heard were on a strut, or feeding area. And - by this time of year, they may be doing it on a fairly regular daily/weekly basis. Although they may not be there tomorrow, or you may not hear them gobbling, it does not mean they will not be there the next day, or the day after.

But, if you get in there and scout the place out, you've got a spot to setup. I'd get in there befiore the turkeys do, and figure out where they are coming from. If you dont get a bird the first day, get between where you think they are coming from, and where you think they are going to, and either setup some decoys and call them in, or ambush them when they walk by.

I'nm gald I could help - if yoyu hve more questions - fire away.

And WHEN you get your bird - let us know. Or at least keep us updated all of the time.

God bless and good hunting,

T.R.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Read my Turky Gobbling/Calling thread. It might help you figure out what the birds you are hearing - are doing, and what kind of habitat they are in.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:57 PM

TR when i go to listen i usually just set and listen from the field. the turkeys gobble in the woods. i dont want to risk spookin them because when we go to listen we get there later then when we would if we would behunting. my family has a chicken house and my dad is working in there in the mornings before we go to listen and i need him to drive me. when i go huting i usually get someone else to go with me that way my ad can work. i know its confusing. ill try to get you an aerial photo but i dont know how. should i put it on photobucket and then try?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:27 PM

[/align]

the red line is the property outline.the blue dots are where i have hunted. the blue cirlce is where theyre roosting ive heard them here a couple times now. that brownish open spot above the blu circle isa field also. the spot that is alomost white in the upper right corner is a shale bank. wha should i do? ask any questions about the picture or any thing.
thanks
[/align]
Event.observe($('fullSizedImage'), 'load', function(event) {
pageTags.addTagListToImg('fullSizedImage', [
]);
});

[/align][/align]

Old 05-06-2009, 02:29 PM

uhh how do i get the image to come up????
Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 PM

ok this is another spot right beside the other. the red line is the property line. the blue dot is where ive hunted before.the blue dotted area is where e heard this gobbler gobble on the roost. you can see what lloks like a trail going up thru the woods. that is a fourwheeler trail.there is a field to the left of this photo/ how would you hunt this. where are the strut zones or anything like that?

Quick Reply: how to scout?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.