Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey getting the best of me HELP! >

Turkey getting the best of me HELP!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey getting the best of me HELP!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey getting the best of me HELP!

It has been a very frusturating turkey season thus far!I have spent 24hrs over 4 days in a blind and nothing to show for it.Everytime i think i know where the birds are going to be they are on the other side of the feild.Friday i went in and sat up my blind where i had heard them gobbling on the roost the prier weekend for saturday morning.I get in my blind and the birds are roosted 200-300 yds on the back of the property and not where they were the weekend before.I had 2 hens come down and almost land on top of my blind and they went to the gobblers.After about 45 min.I see them out in the feild strutting where i had been set up the prevous weekend.So after hunting hrs where done i moved my blind over in that area for sunday.Sunday comes with no gobbling or hens clucking after about an hour i look over towards the other side of the feild and sure enough if they werent over strutting on that side of the feild where i had been set up just inside the woods on saturday.I did have a tom lock up on me Saturday with just a hen decoy out so i went and bought a B-Mobile to use sunday but didnt have any male birds with in 300yds of me.The birds arent gobbling at all the times that i've been out! Any thoughts on what i should do this weekend?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turkey getting the best of me HELP!

I would get in the woods early and locate them on the roost then set up as close as I could possibly get but slightly above them. Then if you can without being seen use a wing against a tree at fly down, this tells em they have a hen close.

Works for me.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:19 AM
Fork Horn

Its all flat land that i am hunting so there is no getting above them.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like you are hunting where the birds were not where they are. Either listen to them flying up or roosting in the evening or listen for gobbling in the morning and go to them.If you know where they are roosting in the evening, you can set up your blind that night. In the morning, though unless you're bowhunting, you can set up without using your blind.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sound like some patience might be a good order. if ya hadnt moved your blind then you would have been right in them. If you know you are in an area that turkeys are using then all you need to do is wait. Yes I know its hard. Set up and wait, do some light calling about every 10 min and keep your eyes open. and whatever you do dont think about what you could be doin instead of hunting. think to yourself that any second a turkey could pop out and walk in front of you.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

What time should i go out to roost them?It starts getting dark here about 8:15.If i roost them and i go in and set up my blind say 50-60yds off and i don't get a shot with my bow at one then what is my option cause i cant very well move to the feild and set my blind up with them out there.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

where is your blind right now? i wouldnt get any closer than 75 yards. a bird will fly 50 yards just coming off the roost. you could still move to the field you just wont be able to use your blind. use the cover that is there and wait to draw till he is facing away.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

They'll fly up while they have just enough light to see, a few minutes before dark. I'd wait til it's really darkto set up my blind or before the moon comes up. Then I'd get to the blind long before it starts getting light.
Plan B: Either stay put and wait. A decoy or two might get a tom interested eventually. Just don't call much when they're in the field. Or, When they leave the field, abandon your blind and use the natural cover to set up on them someplace else.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

It sounds like these turkeys may be easier to set up on without the use of a blind, but if your using a bow this may not be an option for you. Good Luck I hope in the end you get the best of Ol' Tom.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 AM
Fork Horn

First - read my T.R.'s Tips on this board, they may help you.

If you figure out where the brids are comeing from, get between where they are coming from, dn where you think they are going to. do't just set up your blind in a "location", have a specific spot where you think the birds will come close to it. And ambush the suckers when they come by.

If I can help you - let me know.

God bless and good hunting,

T.R.

Quick Reply: Turkey getting the best of me HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.