Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Why dont people on tv ever turkey hunt from treestands? >

Why dont people on tv ever turkey hunt from treestands?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why dont people on tv ever turkey hunt from treestands?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why dont people on tv ever turkey hunt from treestands?

Im a noob to turkey hunting, but every show i see they are on the ground in some way, well im going upstate with some friends this week, and im going to be hunting in a tree stand cause i dont know the area, what are the disadvanatages of treestand hunting and calling a bird in?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:35 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Why dont people on tv ever turkey hunt from treestands?

Turkeys can locate sound very well. And its unnatural for a hen to be roosted in a tree after sunrise. You can locate birds that way. Just when he gets within 70yards, I think I would not be calling any more. Espcially if hunting flat ground. If hunting mountain sides, it might be an ok idea.

Also if you just waiting for birds to roll by you, they will probably spot you before you spot them..

I notice a lot of guys see birds in Deer season and then think why not turkey hunt from tree stand.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

For one thing, a lot of turkey hunting is "running and gunning", in other words, by using a tree stand, you're limited to "that spot" where as most turkey hunters want to be mobile and move around and locate the birds, thenmove in, set up, and call them to you.
The reasons not to use a treestand far out weigh the reasons to use a treestand for turkeys. I suspect that if turkeys could use thier nose as a defense such as deer do, more guys would be using treestands to hunt them.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know in the fall while bowhunting for deer anytime I've had turkeys move in they bust me most every time in the stand. To me they seem alot more keen to seeing unusual things. I big blob in a tree isn't normal to them. I'd suggest you try a pop up blind instead. For some reason turkeys pay little attention to pop up camo blinds.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tryed it, got busted every time.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its illegal here.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly. Make sure hunting them from a treestand is even legal in NY.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Spike

i have had them ciome in in the fall.I just sat there still not moving.They usually spotted me at 30 yards or so and I was in full camo face mask included.think they spot you better in a stand than on the ground.Don;t know how but seems they do it.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Turkeys have predators that live in the trees (owls, hawks) They are constantly watching them for any sign of danger. Any movement in a tree stand and you will be busted. they can see a person in a tree from a long ways off and are conditioned to look up.We hunt deer from a tree for scent control and they don't have the instinct to look up unless something catches their eye. There is no reason to hunt a turkey from a tree and I guarantee you will not be successful, they see too well.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had turkeys walk right by me in a tree stand while deer hunting or filming. I've also had turkeys bust me in a covered box stand while deer hunting. I was totally motionless when they didn't see me, and if I would have flinched, they would have easily busted me. I have done some scouting from a deer stand, but it would be very difficult to get a shot at one from a tree stand. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the odds are stacked against you. I agree withwhat some of the others have said, such as being able to move and predator alert. Bottom line is, they are probably going to bust you before you can get a shot.

Quick Reply: Why dont people on tv ever turkey hunt from treestands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.