Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 I need some serious help here >

I need some serious help here

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I need some serious help here

Old 04-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I need some serious help here

Guys, today I had 2 very nice toms come in, but none of them would come within range. Its so frustrating!The first one gobbledthen strutted...keptdoing that for like 15 minutes, then just walked away. I called very softly and a small amount. I didnt want to over do it.Just walked away. Right after he left, another nice tom showed up, interested in my calling. He was about 200 yards, and did the same thing! What do i do???

Maybe he didnt like my decoys? I had 1 hen (bobblehead type)and 1 jake (delta decoys).

Both just stood there, gobbling every few minutes. Eventually just left. Its like they just lost interest. Please help me if you can because I am VERY discouraged right now. Thanks guys.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I need some serious help here

Try just using the hen. I had a buddy that put out a b-mobile with 2 hens and he had a tom hang up at 100 yards 2 different times in the same hunt. Finally around 11 am the same tom came back out again into the field and this time he took the b-mobile out of the mix and that tom ran right to his setup. 25 pound bird too so it shouldn't have been a dominance issue. I just think it depends on the bird. Some want to kick a$$ and some are little more timid.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you think only 1 hen can be effective?
Old 04-25-2009, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

One will do the trick.I would suggest trying to set up closer if possible.I had the same problem once.Terrain was flat and wide open with the birds on posted land about 200yds away.They kept gobbling back at my calls but just wouldn't budge.Guess there was just to much distance between us or they didn't like the lack of cover for such a long stroll.They were right on the edge of a wooded area to.Anyway we have to bear in mind what we're trying to do is opposite of natural turkey behavior where the hens go to the males.It's always a tuff sell!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome, thanks.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea one will work perfect. if you look you will notice the color of a male turkeys head will change during season. different colors mean different moods. whether or not he will be aggressive or not. a head with alot of red will be a mean turkey usually.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well....Ive about had it with decoys, BUT, i might try the single hen out.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

I would use a decoy... I would also cut the distance if you know the birds are regulars in that area. They hung up for a reason and it may have been a distance issue for them. So close the distance and try again...
Old 04-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

One other tactic that has worked for me is no decoys. Set in timber, it works pretty effectively. They can't see you, so they search for you. Bang. Don't know your specific terrain. Probably won't work in an open area with no obstructions.