Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Got me a good double beard gobbler! >

Got me a good double beard gobbler!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got me a good double beard gobbler!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Got me a good double beard gobbler!

Here's my first gobbler 10 1/2in beard 1 1/8in spurs over 20lbs.
Ok, I got out there with one of my dad's freinds before daylight at one of our farms and UNBELIVEABLELY didn't see anything or hear anythingbut two hens which we have been seeing a few good beards! But we hunted till 9 or so then we went back and ate breakfeast with dad and his buddy (dad works nights so he don't ever get to hunt with me).

Then we decided to go out to our other farm 1000+ acres, we got out there about 10:30 and we drove the Rhino around and stopped and called and moved on we'll we seen one hen then we decided to go up to this gate and walk out in the feild and call/ check for birds. So we left the decoys in the back of the rhino (STUPID) and walked up to the feild edge and I hit the call and I didn't here any gobble but then all of the sudden this hen just starts yelping and clucking so MUCH!! And I walk back to Dad and Darren (his Buddy) and they was thinkin that it was another hunter. But then all of the sudden while it was yelp and clucking ALOT I look up in the edge of the feild (we was in the back little feild) and I see a bird walking toward the calling, and I pulled up my bino's and see a big ole longbeard and we get in the bushes and start callin immediatley. Well that didn't work out so we decided to go to the front feild for the bird.

Well we crossed the creek hid behind a thicket and crawled up in the little drain and started calling and this hen up on the hill was still going nuts. And this beard was strutting but not gobbling then he started working his way over to us in the thicket and I couln't see the bird because of the hiil and then he gobbled and me and darren look up and a hen comes walking down the hill and that gobbler makes a Bline straight for that hen and he works over the hill and Darren says The only way we can kill that bird is if we ambush it.

So we take off in a dead run and run for about 50yds then just belly crawl for about 150yds then Darren pokes his head up and watches this gobbler breed this hen in a dusty spot then he starts feeding toward us and here we are sitting in the middle of a feild and then I look up and I see a red head and then pull the trigger at about 55yds and roll it up. (12:30p.m.)

Then we heard another bird gobble. So we turn the tables and gonna let dad shoot a bird. So we grab the decoys this time and go to this beard. There was 6 different birds gobbling at that time 1-2:00 didn't look to see the time but we tryed to work one of the birds in but we watched two strutters come in on 1hen about 175yrds and they go out of sight and we grab the Pretty Boy and try to get closer (they went over a hill) and we go up to the feild and didn't see them until they seen us but heres the weirdest part! Darren throws up the pretty boy and all of the sudden these two gobblers come in a DEAD RUN and gobbling straight at use and here we are in the middle of a feild which we have already busted these birds but they come running straight at us and dad misses one running at us with an x-full choke at about 15yds it was a tough shot but maybe next time...Dad missed at about (3:30)

Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Got me a good double beard gobbler!

heres the spurs

Old 04-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

GOD that sucker has a paintbrush on him! Congrats on the double beard!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Spike

Nice Turkey Man, Congrads!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, awesome bird
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Congratulations.

Sweet beard(s).

Be sure to show us the mount when finished.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, great bird
Old 04-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird. Congrats.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is a great bird. congrats and nice job. he has a really thick beard on him
Old 04-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wis_rifle_hunter

that is a great bird. congrats and nice job. he has a really thick beard on him
I know it was the thickest bird I've ever shot and I'm only going to plaqe mount him I want to full body mount him but that's to expensive [&:]but when I kill a bigger one with an 11+ in beard I'm mounting him..

Quick Reply: Got me a good double beard gobbler!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.