Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden >

76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden

Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 PM

Default RE: 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden

Chuck7 wrote:
Many 75 year old folks are on medication and probably aren't thinking so sharply. Usually time will help this situation ...I just think dealing with some folks you need to have a little more patience..You can 't use the same tactics in dealing with everyone..not if your the least bit interested in people's lives.
C7
I agree with you to a point. To argue with an elderly gentleman for 15 min. is not right. He should have been in handcuffs long before that. You wont argue with a P.O. that long. If they argued for that long why did the elderly man even be allowed to have a firearm in his hands. Most officers wont argue with you period. They diffuse the situation with a quickness. Im a law abiding citizen and would never argue with a warden or any official of the law. I read one place where it said the officer retreated. Why didn't he get out of there and call for help? Why did the elderly man wait 15 minutes before he pulled his firearm,which he should have never done?I'm not saying who was right or wrong cause I don't know. The experts will sort it out. I bet the warden has alot of "what if's" in his mind.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

On the same token as a few others...what's to say this guy was hunting legally with a shotgun? Did the officer get close enough to even see what he was armed with when he first approached? Like a few places, rifles are fair game for turkey hunting so who's to say he wasn't using a rifle whether it was legal or not? Think what you will about the poor 76 year old fella and may he RIP. Now put yourself in the boots of the warden. Half of the people pissin' and moanin' about this happening to the old duffer are the same ones crying about nothing getting done about the baiting, poaching and all the other $*** going on out there. I'll bet my a$$ the old guy was up to something. Wardens don't just shoot people to get their rocks off. .

I'll admit my DNR here in WI has their f-d up agendas and ideas, but not backing your wardens, at least 'til all the facts come out, is a bit irrational in my opinion.

Saw this on another chat forum....should shed some light.

Here are some facts about this case as I live in a neighboring county of Wilkes County. First the man was not 76 but 67 and his funeral was held today.

As to whether or not the GW was tipped off or not the man was hunting over bait which is illegal in NC. It is illegal on public or private land to hunt turkey over bait. Some of you may need to read that again. Notice the word ILLEGAL.

The GW first ticketed the man's son-in-law for doing the same thing and hunting without his license. He then confiscated the man's gun and then asked if anyone else was on the property. The GW was told of the elder gentleman and went to where he was located according to the man's son-in-law.

The GW found the elderly man indeed hunting ILLEGALLY over bait. He was told to come down from his tree stand and then told the GW, "if I come down I'm going to kill you!"

The man eventually came down at which time he shouldered his gun, pointed at the GW. The GW poistioned himself behind some trees all the time telling the man to put down his gun. The man continued his approach toward the GW, gun shouldered, ignoring the order to put down his gun.

Seeing no other recourse, the GW defended himself from a possible death in shooting the man who continued to 1) keep his gun shouldered ready to shoot, and 2) ignore what he was being told to do. What was he suppose to do? Shoot or be shot by someone who said that he was going to kill him?

It is indeed sad. Prayers need to be said on all involved.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Spike

My thoughts go out to all who lost here.
That is everybody involved.
The old timers family and the warden.
Nothing can change what happened in the woods that day.

Just because you own the land dose not mean you write the laws.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds good Canned Heat..but technically there are no witnesses ..If I were the GW I'd certainly have a good reason why I fired the shot as well...

Old 04-20-2009, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

I am happy there are some pro law guys on here. Most threads like this are hard on the GW. Nobody wants to go out and kill someone.
Good posts firelt72.

I dont' get it why would a 76 yr old man try to harm a game warden? But I don't know. And I also hope he's killn' the biggest bird of his second life right now upstaris too Oneshot.
I hope not, i am sure he is baiting.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

I /m a teacher and deal with all kinds..most of my kids get anger management ..I as a professional can push their buttons and get them to act out ; which results in a suspension for them or.. I can work with them and try to defuse every situation..I do that..I've seen cops on Cops do the same..most exert their authority but some display a compasionate heart and try to defuse the situation..

Most of us know the effective range of a turkey shot gun..When the GW realized what he was dealing with..he could have backed up out of the kill zone and radioed for help.Many 75 year old folks are on medication and probably aren't thinking so sharply. Usually time will help this situation ...I just think dealing with some folks you need to have a little more patience..You can 't use the same tactics in dealing with everyone..not if your the least bit interested in people's lives.
C7
Are you serious with that statement?? We may never know what actually transpired that day, but if someone points a gun at an officer I really don't think that officer should asses the weapon, realize the effective killing range of that weapon, proceed out of that killing range and then radio for help.When dealing with someone who is pointing a gun at you, there is no patience. Patience could have gotten that GW killed.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just read through the whole thread and have some thoughts....

The FAMILY mentions how he was a loving and caring gentleman, and he may have been, but have you ever seen anything else said about a deceased person? The facts are this old man got killed for a situation where heobviously was doing SOMETHING that he should not be doing. Loving and caring grandfathers don't get killed in a situation like this, they know whats right and DO THE RIGHT THING.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Are you serious with that statement??

yes..very serious..I worked at jails and bootcamps...and been alone with them..any of them could have cleaned my clock...these threads are simply opinion oriented..This was just my opinion.. I seriously beleive in H E L L and would think real hard before sending one there. I wasn'tin NOrth Carloinaand may have shot the man myself..but I'm just saying I personally would do my best to advoid shooting if I could. We are all different so it should not offend you if I'm different than you .I 'm not offended at anyone elses opinions so I beleive I should be shown the same respect..to have an opinion as well.
C7
Old 04-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well,
Unfortuneately, the only side of the story anyone knows is the Wardens. Anything may have happened, but the Warden isn't going to make himself look bad if he can help it. If the situation were reversed, I'm sure the old gentleman would probably tell the opposite story for his behalf. There are two sides to every story, but in this case, we will only hear the story the Warden wants us to hear.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Are you serious with that statement??

yes..very serious..I worked at jails and bootcamps...and been alone with them..any of them could have cleaned my clock...these threads are simply opinion oriented..This was just my opinion.. I seriously beleive in H E L L and would think real hard before sending one there. I wasn'tin NOrth Carloinaand may have shot the man myself..but I'm just saying I personally would do my best to advoid shooting if I could. We are all different so it should not offend you if I'm different than you .I 'm not offended at anyone elses opinions so I beleive I should be shown the same respect..to have an opinion as well.
C7
Don't take this the wrong way Chuck, but please remember this statement when someone may happen to be beating your brains out with a stick. Do you think an effective stance from the responding officer would be to back out of stick range and "discuss" the situation? Or, should he promptly attempt to stop the beating using his training, tactics and available weapons?

Once again, not everyone knows the entire situation here, that's agreed by all discussing it. But, there's going to pretty much be an overwhelming agreement that if this man pointed a gun at an officer and told him he'd kill him, then it's justifiable. If he'll threaten an officer, he'll threaten anyone. What happens if the officer had retreated and the man pointed the gun at someone else who happened to walk or drive through the area?

If the situation is as told, the officer did his job without hesitation and to the best of his ability and judgement as he was trained and he's alive today for it. A State Trooper I knew once told me his main goal was to protect the people without dying on the side of a dirty highway and he'd do anything to achieve it. I'm sure this officer's goal is to do his job just the same, without dying in some old man's dirty field. As they say, it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Quick Reply: 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.