Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Wife whacks two-year old tom!!! (pic) >

Wife whacks two-year old tom!!! (pic)

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Wife whacks two-year old tom!!! (pic)

Old 04-27-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Wife whacks two-year old tom!!! (pic)

This past Saturday my wife and I went turkey hunting in South Dakota, specifically hoping to fill her tag. Although birds were around and active at flydown, we never had one work our setup. (I blame those nasty, selfish hens, who didn' t want to share their toms and led their men away from my " sleazy hen in fishnet stockings" .) We stayed put all day, though, and around 2:00 in the afternoon a lonely tom feeding along the field' s edge about 150 yards away spotted our decoys. Twenty heart pounding minutes of soft calling as this tom slloowwlyyy made his way over to the fake jake later, my wife squeezed the trigger and dropped him in his tracks at 15 yards with her Remington Youth Sport model 20 gauge. It certainly was exciting, both for her and for me. When the photos are developed and digitized, I' ll post.

Old 04-27-2003, 05:19 PM

Default RE: Wife whacks two-year old tom!!!

congrats to your wife.sounds like you made some memories.
tell her for me " She Done Did Good" [:-]
Old 04-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

she did real good indeed [8D][:-].....always makes me happy when someone gets a bird, but when it' s another woman....well, i just fill up with so much pride more women nee dto get out there and experience this....you go girl

hey , you can at least tell us the stats.....pleaseeeeeeeeeee
Old 04-27-2003, 06:37 PM

Please snowdog2 give your Wife a big ole hug and a big ole congrats for me
So who was more excited you or the little lady LOL
I would bet that you were about to explode!!
Great job my friend !!
How big was he you didn' t say?
Old 04-27-2003, 08:11 PM

huntnma,

for you the stats:

Eastern
20 lbs.
9 3/8" beard
1" & 15/16th " spurs (couldn' t squeeze that extra 1/16th out of the second spur)

58.13 points

Brian,

We had a lot of hugs after the shot, in celebration. I won on more excited at the success/after the hunt, easily, but, strangely, I think I was less excited than she was as the bird came in, because she said she swore that the bird would be able to hear her heart just pounding, and all I felt was an excited hopefulness and some nervousness about " doing good" as I called him in. I remember concentrating during every peek, every stop, every look around, every pause that tom made as he came in, trying to read the bird, assess his temperature, determine what I needed to do/say with my calls (or not do/say) to convince him to take another step, to come closer, to make him feel confident that he was seeing the real thing. I remember a gnawing impatience--" Come on, bird get in here!!" --and worrying if my wife' s arm was about to fall off from holding the gun, thinking to myself " I bet she wishes she' d let me take the gun rest." (It turned out she had a good support and, while shaky and nervous/tired, was never in jeopardy about dropping the gun from exhaustion.) I was nervous that I' d fail or blow it, was really concentrating on technique. When the bird stepped next to that fake jake, I told her to shoot, and she did, but she told me she never heard me say to shoot it, she just shot because the time was right. She made a great shot, it was down instantly, and that impressed me, because she shot a 2 3/4" 1 1/8th oz. lead #4 shot shell, and I usually shoot a 3 1/2 " 2 oz. #5 lead shot shell. I guess that at close range, small can be deadly, too.

TC,

I told her she done good.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to your wife!!!!
Old 04-28-2003, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

very cool stats.......[8D]
Old 04-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like turkey fever runs deep in this family!

Congratulations to both of you!
Old 04-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job!!!
Old 04-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

It is so awesome taking a wife. My wife loves turkey hunting. The only " bad" part for me is that she is always killing my " dream turkeys" . You know the ones. Last year it was a triple bearded (8,9,10), 1.5" spurred stud. The good part is I get to kiss this hunting partner. My other hunting buddies always run.

Congrats to your Lady.

Quick Reply: Wife whacks two-year old tom!!! (pic)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.