Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Do things Happen for a Reason? >

Do things Happen for a Reason?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do things Happen for a Reason?

Old 04-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Do things Happen for a Reason?

If y'all remember, I was scheduled to have a heart cath. yesterday. Thru a jumble of mistakes, 2 Doctors offices, the hospital, and my insurance co. they cancelled my appointment 30 minutes before I was to leave with my kids and a friend for a 75 mile drive to the hospital.

My mother, being very religious, always said that things happen for a reason, maybe so, I don't know, but I felt my turkey season was over. I was greatful in that I had already killed two birds, we can kill 3 in GA.

Well they are going to reschedule my heart cath. for next week.

So this morning I decided to go and try a new piece of property I had been given permission to hunt. Went there Wed. morning and heard nothing. So this morning I drove into the edge of a field on this property, got my chair and thermos out of the truck and decided to sit at the truck and see if I could hear a bird. At 7 a.m. one gobbled no more 100 to 150 yds from me. I had to unlock my truck door, get my gun out and load it, trying tobe quiet. I shoot a single shot breach loader and I thought when it clicked open and close he could surely hear me. I grabed my stool and home made blind and didn't go 25 yds from my truck, thinking he could surely see me. I hurried and got set up. I called to him softly a few times and heard him fly down. I thought he landed in front of me, which was very heavily wooded. Unknown to me, he landed in the open field to my exposed right. I didn't know he was there until he gobbled. I had to wait until he turned away from me so I could move to get on him. I got my scope on him and pulled the trigger, the gun snaped. My gun has a double safty and after you pull the trigger and it snaps, you have to unbreach it to cock it. Now I'm thinking, I'm in full view of this bird, when again he turns away struting and gobbling, I open the gun and the shell flys out onto the ground.Opening the gun is the only way to recock it. He looks towards me again, when he looks away I'm desperately surching for another shell in my pockets, couldn't get my hand on one. Again he looks my way, gobbling and struting, when he turns I fumble around hunting the shell on the ground and find it, put it in the gun and close it as softy as I could, thinking he's gonna hear it when I close it. He looks towards me again and turns struting away from me in the wide open, I put the nikon scope on his head and now he's history.

Now, JW! was down here hunting with me the first week of our season, we both got 2 birds a piece, you can take 3 here in GA. I believe JW! said my scales was off by 2 lbs, i'm not sure, but on my scales he weighed 19.5 lbs, both spurs was exactly 1 inch, and his beard was 10.5 inches. I don't know if he weighs 19.5 or 21.5 lbs, regardless, a good bird to me.

Maybe things do happen for a reason as my Mama said, but my season finished great with 3 birds, now I'm ready for my heart cath.

dog1
Old 04-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do things Happen for a Reason?

great story and outcome dog

hope everything goes well
Old 04-10-2009, 01:21 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Destiny bud - destiny - didn't tell ya but I also was up at 4:40 am today! Go figure!

JW
Old 04-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, and good luck with you heart cath.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats good story & good luck
Old 04-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Your Mama is right--We are under GODS plan there a reason things work out!

Congrats on the bird--Soundsto me like God has done healed you--I don't beleve the heart cath will show anything wrong--"IMO" If you had a bad ticker or some blockage, all that excitment withthe longbeardright there shorlely that would have got you!!!LOL
Old 04-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats and good luck.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say......man what a season.[8D]
Old 04-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats man. That is awesome!

Quick Reply: Do things Happen for a Reason?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.