HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Fine callin or raspy callin (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/291418-fine-callin-raspy-callin.html)

Shoulder Strap 04-07-2009 06:28 PM

Fine callin or raspy callin

This is sure to get some different responses. About 10 years ago my dad had a penns woods #1 single reed call, boy was it ever high piched. After callin for all the turkey experts in the neighborhood they said " boy that call is afull fine. We like ours a little more raspy than that". My father answered by saying " If you call a phone sex hotline and get ahold of an old gal that has a real deep voice are you gonna be turned on as much as the little petite soundin girl?" Ha Ha . He had tremendous luck with this call, but he did alot more than just callin as we all know. So whats your favorite call I would like to know.

fingerz42 04-07-2009 07:10 PM

RE: Fine callin or raspy callin

Raspy calls hide alot of the flaws, whereas a higher pitched call you better be doing it right. I think there is a time for both. Personally, many of mine that I really like are raspy calls. But my TR-1 and BF-1 from the primos line are pretty high pitched and I like them as well. They make for easy clucks, and purrs. If I had to pick, I'd go with a raspy call. While the "phone sex hotline" might work with humans, I'm not sure it works as well with turkeys. In the turkey world, more often than not, a high pitched call is a younger hen, and a raspy call is an older boss hen. If you're a gobbler, you probably want a woman with a little more experience. :D:D

SwampCollie 04-08-2009 09:05 AM

I like mine to be right on the edge of raspy.... clean and high up top with a snappy, ragged finish. Imagine a girl whose voice is changing as she comes of age.... thats kinda the idea. The good part about it though, is you can control whether you want a soft, high pitched, clear note or a deeper, raspier note.

There are times when I use nothing but high pitched calls.... and other times the birds seem to want to hear raspy calls. I like to mix it up and let the birds tell me what they want to hear.

SouthernStrut56 04-08-2009 01:30 PM

I really like to change the pressure on my mouth calls to give it a raspy sound mixed with a few high pitched ones in one yelp series. 3 raspy, one high pitched, another raspy, a couple more high pitched, you get the point. Kinda sound like a sick hen, or one thats going through puberty in the middle of a yelp. A lot of toms love it, and sometimes its just what you need to pull a weary bird in close.

ksfowler 04-08-2009 05:20 PM

As long as they make your ears pop alittle they both will work.

wisbowhunter2009 04-09-2009 08:24 AM

I love the old raspy call... I dont know why i've just had good luck with it

MossDoubleTone 04-09-2009 09:41 AM

Check out my post about turkey calling tips! And on hunting strategies, it might help.

Turkey Fife 04-09-2009 11:00 PM

I love the old raspy call... I dont know why i've just had good luck with it
I must agree whith this statement.