Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What Happened?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What Happened?

I've been reading post after post saying "this combo work out to 50 yards" "this one will go 60 yards".
Maybe its just me but whatever happened to calling a turkey. I was taught that the thrill was to be able to get a bird within 30 yards of you. i mean heck i can stalk to within 60 yards of turkeys.

Forget it i'm beating a dead horse with this one. i'm just to set in my ways.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What Happened?

It's funny you mention that because I've seen some people rail against others that use a rifle to hunt turkey but then try and make a 60 to 70 yard turkey shotgun. I don't plan on shooting until I get a bird in under 40. It seems a little hypocritical to me....
Old 04-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just another aspect of the hunt that has been ruined by magazines and hunting shows/DVD's. 35 yrds. is the farthest I want to shoot. I have one time and one time only layed one out at 42 paces.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just because you gun can pattern well out to 60yds doesn't mean you should. At that yardage lead won't have much "punch" left except in paper and even most non-lead alternatives are losing thier knock down power. I'm all for 30 and less.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

The tech side of the sport claims kills out to xxx number of yards. Just like the heavier than lead stuff...nothing against it, but it does put the thought of how far out can I effectively kill a gobbler. The new issue of Turkey and Turkey Hunting delves into the issue, but they seem more apt to tell you to pull the trigger..imo. I am very comfortable with a 40 yard shot and that is it. I know I can kill one there. It is like bass fishing I have too much respect to keep a 3-4lbs bass to eat...I want it to grow, just as in turkey hunting I have too much respect to wound an animal and hope I recover it.....
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't intentionally shoot past 40 yards but its nice to know that ifIunder estimate yardageand pull the trigger at a 50 yard bird, chances are good he'll go down instead of just getting crippled. That being said, I pattern my gun out to 40 and if I ever take a shot furher than that it would be a mistake, but hopefully one that will still result in a dead bird.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats what i'm talking about guys. not one person so far said they would take a shot past 40 yards. so who cares if you can get a good pattern at 50 and 60. just pattern at 40. although i do kinda understand what RI is sayin but thats easy for me. i know my yardage when i setup. how far my dekes are. how far that patch of grass is.
The insurance may be nice but i dont want it.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok.....I will be the first. I have no problem shooting past 40 yards as long as my pattern holds up. There are plenty heavier than lead loads capable of killing turkeys up to and beyond 70 yards if you can get your pattern to hold up. Heck lead #6's will reliably kill to 50 if you have the pattern.

I have always said that I will shoot as far as my pattern allows and not a step farther. I will not apologize for knowing my guns capabilities and using them to the fullest. If a person wants to keep their shots within 10-20-30-40 yards go for it. If your idea of turkey hunting is calling the turkey into your lap then have at it, just realize that is not everyone's idea of a great hunt.

Lastly, I'm not sure everyone realizes that some of this patterning stuff is a sport within a sport so to speak. Personally, any shotgun that I get for turkey hunting I try to find the load that will give me the best pattern at the longest range. That does not necessarily mean that I will use that ammo for hunting, it just means I want to find the max potential for that particular shotgun.

Whatever you decide your limits are make sure you have a gun that will hold a pattern to that limit......and have fun.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

AMEN! To me, it's all about trick'n 'em! That means seeing just how close you can get 'em. Of course, I realize that it's mainly the bowhunter in me talkin'. I myself have turkey guns that are perfectly capable of shooting turkey smashin' groups at 50+ yards but nearly every bird we have taken in the last several years have been taken inside of 30 yards. My Daughter just took her best Gobbler, a 24 lber this past Sunday, at the grand distance of ONLY 8 YARDS! That's what it's all about!
Old 04-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

I've been reading post after post saying "this combo work out to 50 yards" "this one will go 60 yards".
Maybe its just me but whatever happened to calling a turkey. I was taught that the thrill was to be able to get a bird within 30 yards of you. i mean heck i can stalk to within 60 yards of turkeys.

Forget it i'm beating a dead horse with this one. i'm just to set in my ways.
Amen,I agree with ya 100%

Quick Reply: What Happened?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.