Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Any tips of hunting Turkeys in the wind? >

Any tips of hunting Turkeys in the wind?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Any tips of hunting Turkeys in the wind?

Old 04-10-2009, 09:02 AM

Default RE: Any tips of hunting Turkeys in the wind?

the turkey will do what you would do. get out of the wind. find breaks in the terrain, valleys, draws etc.. if you just can't escape the wind call loud stay on stand longer than usual and be still. while you may not hear them rest assured they are hearing you and may be coming and never let you know.
Same situation here in arkansas strong storms state wide thursday nite very high wind all day friday but opening day saturday looks okay for now.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Gobbler in my back yard/Woods I was watching him the other day. There has been 3 Hens with him I guess they got sepprated??? He would cock that head and Listen. He headed off down the Hollow and I got the Hen and Gobblers on my Cell Ph. so I played it ffor him.....He just started to walk faster....LoL I give him a few Min.'s and I took my Slate Call and called One time and GOBBLE, GOBBLE.......I ran to the truck/walked fast/Hurryed.....He made me feel like such a AWSOME turkey hunter....LoL

My point is they listen well and can hear a long way and have Radar Instinks.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:01 PM

How good can they hear. A friend of mine had a tame turkey and it was at least 100 yards away. The wind was blowing about 15 mph.My friend said take your slate and try to make the quietest call possible on it. I made a scratch that I could hardly hear and that bird would hammer every time. I know I call to loud much of the time wind or not.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Spike

Try to locate them before you get set in or have a good idea of where they are. I haven't had much trouble with calling birds in on windy days or if its drizzling that actually when I have the best luck.