Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Any tips of hunting Turkeys in the wind? >

Any tips of hunting Turkeys in the wind?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Any tips of hunting Turkeys in the wind?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Any tips of hunting Turkeys in the wind?

Going in the morning. Thunderstorms and rain tonight and 20 to 30 mph wind gust tomorrow. Any suggestions?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any tips of hunting Turkeys in the wind?

Fields. Loud calling to locate birds.

If its raining and thundering in the morning I'd stay home.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

A good, high pitched long box to cut through the noise. Once you get their attention and moving toward you, it's like any other turkey hunt. Turkey don't stop being turkeys because ofa little wind.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The worst thing about hunting in a strong wind is your inability to hear. I promise you the turkeys can still hear your calls. Maybe not quite as good, but they can hear better than you think. On awindy day, I hunt just like I would on any other day. I just concentratemore on listening and looking, just in case one sneaks up on me without me ever knowing it. They can do that even on a calm day.The turkeys aren't really going to alter their normal routine, unless heavy rain accompanies the wind. On very windy days I have had more success in the timber than in open areas.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

if its gonna be a heavy rain that night hit the fields. turkeys dont like wet leaves cause they cant hear things approaching them as well so they will stick to open areas where they can use their eye sight to their advantage.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:10 PM

extremely high winds get in the woods, or if open field, side of woods blocking wind ,find the food,patience is always key, i have been guiding turkey it seems like forever, it works
Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stay alert. With high winds and thunderstorms, the birds are likely to come in silent. Setup in a field you know hold birds, call a little louder, and wait them out. Unlike you, the birds can't go inside and back to bed...they will be out....just not near as vocal.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM

Turkeys hear a lot better than us, butdon't be fooledthat high pitched calls work better. I find the opposite is true and that I get a lot better responseand can close thekill more with a realistic sounding box call. Stay in one spot, don't get discouraged and move from place to place, More than likely, a bird might be closing in on you without you knowing. Check out www.mossdoubletone.com for more hunting straegies.

I have had some of my best hunts in pouring rain and thunderstorms. Now thats hunting!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

When I could walk good I would get down on the side of a big hollow and call seemed like I could hear better there. I don't know which way the Hollow ran N or S, E are W. buy I killed 2 like that.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quaker Boy boat paddle.It's big but if you want loud this is the one.

Quick Reply: Any tips of hunting Turkeys in the wind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.