Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Please Help Me out here! >

Please Help Me out here!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Please Help Me out here!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Please Help Me out here!

Ok well I would love to tote my H&R Pardner 20 gauge around for a little turkey hunting this year. I know that this gun is a sweet clay shooter and is a blast to plink and blast around with but I would really love to get it out and take a tom with it. Part of it being that it was my first gun and have shot a few "firsts" with it. And also the fact that it is much smaller and lighter and more compact. So heres the dilema...It has a fixed choke. It says its a "modified", and personally have madesome not to shabby long shots with it. But I want to make sure this tom goes down if I try and use it. I wouldnt shoot past 30 yards...if that. But I need a good shell & shot recommendation. I am thinking about the Federal Flight Controls being that they are supposed to work good for those guns that arent exactly all hyped up for turkeys already. Anyone think that would be a good load to try?

Maybe some 3 inch Flight Controls in a #4?

Please Help me out here!

Thank you very much!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please Help Me out here!

I would pattern the gun with3"5s and 6s and see which is best. You will probably be good to 30 yds.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 AM

i would use a smaller size pellet than #4. try either #5 or #6. for type of shell i would go with hevishot 2 oz. #6s.

can your gun shoot 3 inch shells?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

My wife shoots remington #6 nitro mags out of her 20 guage. It only chambers 2 3/4 inch shells. I have a hastings .565 choke in it and it is wicked out to 40 yards.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since your using a 20 gauge with a modified choke you won't be taking any long shots anyway so there's no reason for the larger size shot. They say that #6 shot has plenty of energy out to 40 yards and I wouldn't shoot past 30 yards with that setup. You might as well put as many pellets in the pattern as you can. If your willing to spend the money I would bet Nitro Company's 3"shells with 1 7/6 ounces of #7 hevishot would work great.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok but I do not have a choke in this gun...it has a "fixed" modified. I was curious if yall thought the flight controls would produce better patterns with only a modified.

Yes my gun will shoot 3" shells.

Thank you!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check these out, they have the flight control wad and 1 1/2 ounces of #7 heavy weight shot, I bet they will work good.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=837

Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok well cool! Now that I think about it...I will probably just go with the 870 I have with Hevi-13's 3.5 2.25 ounce #6's....Id seriously love to tote the 20 gauge around but I dont have the money to just spend on the shells to try. Maybe this summer or next year will provide better results and more money!haha

Thank you guys! and if there are any more recommendations I would love to know!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

Check these out, they have the flight control wad and 1 1/2 ounces of #7 heavy weight shot, I bet they will work good.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=837

Can you shoot these out of fixed choke gun?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont see why not. But is 6 shot striaght lead really enough to take down a tom?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.