Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Never gone turkey hunting, what do i need >

Never gone turkey hunting, what do i need

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Never gone turkey hunting, what do i need

Old 04-25-2003, 06:12 PM

Default Never gone turkey hunting, what do i need

I have never gone turkey hunting, but i will have a chance in two weeks up in northwestern montana. What do i need to kill a tom. I have a beretta 12 and 20 gauge, but what about chokes, and calls, do i need calls? also where do you aim on a turkey for a good quick kill? Thanks in advance

Doug
Old 04-25-2003, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Never gone turkey hunting, what do i need

Man, what do you need to kill a tom, eh?? EXPERIENCE, for starters, and they don' t sell that at Bass Pro. READ everything you can, RESEARCH all the forums on the net you can find, WATCH as many " instructional" turkey videos you can, and HUNT to gain knowledge and experience. You may kill one in a couple of years.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:15 PM

I think Gobblenutt is right. The best thing I could say is to go with an experienced turkey hunter a couple of times to give you an idea of what it takes. You are still going to make lots of mistakes when you go on your own. But get a video or 2 to get a feel for it---even though they are pretty unrealistic---as in every turkey you see or hear does not come in on a string at your calls.

I subscribe to Turkey and Turkey Hunting Magazine which usually has great info. Browse around the National Wild Turkey Federation website.

But the basics are:
At least a 12 gauge with XFull choke (it is best to pattern your gun with a choke or two and different size shot and loads to find the best combo)
A turkey call or 2 or 3 (Your choice---box, slate, diaphram, tube, etc)
Full camo from head to toe

Some nice to haves:
Turkey vest
pruners
set up seat
Locator calls (Owl Hooter call, crow call, etc.)
binoculars

Don' t be intimidated about calling---it is only 10-30% of turkey hunting. Correct setups and knowing the lay of the land are vital. When it comes to aiming---You have to know how your shotgun patterns. You shoot for the neck at head area.

Take a look at this link:
http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/...y/libindex.htm

Give it a try---but beware---the first time that gobbler respondes to your call---you are on your way to being addicted. It is one of the most frustrating and at the same time exciting hunts you will ever go on. I love it!!
Old 04-27-2003, 09:17 AM

Being new to the sport also the gun is only one part of the gear you will need .
you need camo from head to toe for staters . a comfortble seat/friction call/
locator call/ decoys/ pruners/ thie list goes on and on it' s great .
I can' t think of anything better to spend your money on than hunting gear.
OK maybe taking care of your family and paying bills .
good luck
jvjbadger
Old 04-27-2003, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

cant say a thing that they didnt, get out there and experience the hunt first hand.....learn from your mistakes....but most of all , enjoy yourself....dont get all stressed just because it doesnt happen the way you thought it would..believe me , i know......lol.......good luck.....be safe, identify your target and beyond.....