Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Taking out a 13 yo on his first hunt Sat.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Taking out a 13 yo on his first hunt Sat.

I am mentoring a young gentlemen Saturday morning on his first turkey hunt. I will be hunting our farm. There is very little woods, only small plots and open fields of crp, corn (combined), alfalfa, and pasture. I know where the birds typically roost. I will be sitting in a blind probably with the decoys in the corn/alfalfa. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to make this a great experience for him. I will have some food, and drink along. Hopefully birds will be gobbling, the weather looks good. We are in Wisconsin so this is still very early, what are your decoy set up recommendations (flock, hens, hens and tom, put everything out?) Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taking out a 13 yo on his first hunt Sat.

If the toms in your area are starting to strut I would go with everything including a strutting tom if you have one. Hopefully a dominate tom will see your decoy and come in to check it out. I think the more decoys you have out the better as they are still kinda clumped up from what Ive seen in my area. Make sure that the kid stays warm too. Nothing ruins a hunt or makes it shorter by being cold.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:12 AM

Sounds like you havethe right ideas already... making it fun. I agree with the comment made on keeping the young man warm. Another suggestion I'd have is to lethim do a little calling as well. Maybe at least some locator owl hoots in the morning. If he's not ready to call birds yet, perhaps you can get him doing a few purrs on a slate. Maybe have him trya few yelps to locate birds later in the day if the morning didn't work out.

I also think kids love hearing hunting stories. It's a great way to keep them entertained if need be. Most kids also have a thirst for hunting knowledge. I'd try to explain as much as you can whyyour choosing a particularstrategy, why your calling the way you are, etc etc.Also, let them assist insome of the decision making..."Well, I think these birds are not going to come in...Do you think we should see if we can get around the other side of these birds or should we wait some more?"

BTW, I'm in Wisconsin as well, and will be taking my 13 year old outfor the youth only hunt. That's next Sat and Sun (11th &12th) not this weekend.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

This is a special learn to hunt opportunity and is separate from the youth hunt, I appreciate your tips and advice.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Make sure you make it as entertaining as possible. Dont be afraid to get out of the blind or even move it if you have too.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let him feel like he is part of the hunt.. let him help make the decisions.. (or let him think hes helping make the decisions) ..get a call he can use, perhaps a push button call..(that'll make him feel like hes "doing" rather than just watching.. maybe even a slate if he can run one..)
Show enthusiasm and be upbeat.. if you arent excited, how can he be?

Good luck to you. Hope you get to a spot that you can hear them right from the roost.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: earnabuck

This is a special learn to hunt opportunity and is separate from the youth hunt, I appreciate your tips and advice.
After I posted my response, I had wondered if it was one of the special learn to hunt programs. I did a quick search and saw that at least one in the state was running the same time as the youth hunt. I seem to recall that last year,the program Wern Valley, Waukesha County was supporting was on a seperate date. Best of luck to you and the young man your mentoring.

I don't know if this infohelps your hunt or not, however, the birds around here have not been gobblingyet. However, my sons been practicing his calling this last week and he's had a few birds come inquiet. We don't hunt where we live, so I let him sit out in the woods and call as much as he likes.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with everyone. The best thing is warmth and being part of the hunt. A good thing is maybe a crow call or a pushpin. Let him be a part in the decisions. Because you never know He could say something thats so crazy it just might work

Old 04-02-2009, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Good tips fellas, I plan on bringing some hot chocolate, snacks. He received a slate call for being part of the learn to hunt. I saw a Tom strutting over a dead tom on the side of the road last week, and people have been telling me they are gobbling, I haven't been out early enough to hear it yet. I hunted this week last year and they were gobbling. I figure I will have him wave his hat and do a fly down call early, and we'll see what happens. I set my blinds up yesterday and am looking forward to the hunt.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck and hope everything goes good for him.

Quick Reply: Taking out a 13 yo on his first hunt Sat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.