Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Need all around shotgun recommendation >

Need all around shotgun recommendation

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need all around shotgun recommendation

Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 PM

Default RE: Need all around shotgun recommendation

Mossberg 535 ATS 12g Realtree Camo, 20 inch barrel, and XX Full Choke. It works great for me and love the gun!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I use my Super Black Eagle II for everything turkey,waterfowl, pheasant and I've even used it to hunt coyotes a couple of times. It's synthetic black with 28" barrel. Its an awesome waterfowl gun, but it works just fine for everything else. It is an expensive gunso itgets used. If youwant to spend the money I would go with a Benelli auto if you don't keep the one you already have of coarse. A little less expensive you can't go wrong with a Remington either. I used 11-87 for 15+ years (its kinda of retired now.) The Mossberg 835s' are also popular so Iwon't leave them out. I don't have one but my nephews seem to like theirs'. Just my .03 in reverse order good better Benelli
Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm also an 870 guy, with the money that your talking about get an extra barrel. I like my turkey gun, 21" barrel and I bought a modified choke for quail and squirrel. If you want a barrel that's a little longer just get an 870 with a 26" barrel and buy a turkey choke. With the extra money get a rifled barrel with a cantilever mount and put a scope on it.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

I bought the Benelli SBE IItwo years agoand was never happy with the way it patterened 3 1/2" turkey loads. Even after using several different combinations of chokes and shells.

Recently I bought a 26" Winchester SX3in camo and have had much better luck with the pattern. The SX3 is a great gun that I will also use for waterfowl and upland. Great all-around gun in myopinion and softer shooting than the Benelli. I just killed 3 gobblers with it in Mississippi and am really happy with the way it shoots. It is along the same price range as the Benelli and would deserve your consideration. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Typical forum.... LOL! A guy asks about a quality shotgun and folks respond with answers for low end "budget" shotguns. MAN, the guy is getting rid of a Benelli model...... once you've handled one of those beauties,... the guns mentioned above are cheap JUNK!

Take a look at the new Benelli VINCI that was just released today! It may be the smoothest shooting 3" 12 gauge anyone has ever seen. I lovemy SBEII but this new gun may be a "must have" as well?

Of any of our guns, my all-time favs for Gobblers are the T/C Encore Pro Hunter with it's 24" barrel and the Benelli SBEII. Good luck and good shootin'
Sorry, but I have to comment on this. I promise you, I can kill just as many ducks and turkeys with an 870 as one can with a high dollar gun. If you want to spend the extra hundreds of dollars, that's fine, it's your money,but it is definatley not necessary. I spent $550 for my 870 SPS-T Thumbhole. I don't consider that cheap junk. I consider it a wise buy, unlike spending $1000 or more for something that won't kill any better than what I have. Don't get me wrong, the high end guns are nice, and I'm not knocking anyone who uses them, I just don't think you need them to be successful. I'll stick with my 870's for ducks and turkeys and kill all I want.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 AM

Isn’t the real answer to the gun to buy is the gun that fits your body. One that puts the shot charge were you want it to go with no thought or work it just happens. A $5000 gun that you can’t kill with is only good to show off to your friends. A $500 gun may need more TLC & may not hold up for as many years for a clay bird shooter but think gun fit not what is the best gun. Some dollars spent shooting different types of guns to see what feels good (fits your body) or have a custom fitting might end up being the gun that kills the most & isn’t that what we want from our toys.