Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

DIAPHRAGM CALL!!

Old 03-31-2009, 04:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: DIAPHRAGM CALL!!

I have problems with them too, in addition to having a gap in my teeth that leaks air, I sometimes have to purchase youth sized ones to fit inside my teeth. Even when I get the fit down well enough I have trouble with consistency in my calling, I guess that's why I stick with slates.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

Adrian has some good info there. Try keeping your mouth closed, and saying chalk through your teeth. This will train your tongue to do what it should with the call in your mouth. Also once youve put the call in your mouth just try to get a whistle, then drop your jaw to get the lower note. Then just speed up that process and you've got a yelp.

Adrian, I met Dave Streb the other day at a Quaker Boy exhibit in Olean, NY. He was a heck of a nice guy to talk to, and he was telling me all about the new "boat paddle" call. Thatthing is big, and LOUD.
Dave is a great guy. He would have had a few things to say about me if it was brought up

I think with all the instructions here and one can put it all together they should have no problem getting on a mouth call....
Yeah, Dave I meant lol.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Well To make the initial sounds the guys have already posted how to do that but my advice is it may be to far up in your mouth. So put it back as far as you can without gaging and then give it a go.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Spike

Just got my first noise today!! All of your input helped I thank you all. Now I have another problem. My call has a rip in the latex and I think that is why I cannot make any turkey-like sounds with it but at leastI got some noise.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. you can tear your latex from blowing too hard. If you butt is puckering when trying to call, you're blowing way too hard. Proper calling takes very little air. (you may or may not have torn the call, it may have come torn)

2. If your diaphragm has a tear in it, and you are just learning how to use diaphragms, I'd throw it out and buy a new one.

Good luck. keep practicing... thats how to get good..
Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep ... just like fingerz24 said , throw that one in the trash and buy a new one in fact buy more than one, buy diffrent ones.
Some are small and some have little domes, others may come in a three pack.
In my opinion ... it doesn't really matter what brand name you buy, they all make some good products.
I get some good sounds from the Quaker Boy and Primos brands but I also use some from H.S.Strut.
The point I'm trying to get across here is find something that works good for you and don't blow out too hard.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:21 AM

if you are still having problems Primos and HS Strut make soem excellent instructional DVD s