Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey cleaning

Old 03-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey cleaning

Do you skin or pluck? I have not found much info on plunking a turkey so I dont know how hard it will be

Does anyone know of a place that would do it for you.I live in stafford VA
Thanks
Old 03-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey cleaning

I'm sure that there are ways to roast a wild turkey that taste good but I haven't found one yet. It's always been someone else doing the cooking but they always seem dry. If I were to try roasting one myself I would probably brine it and cook it in a roasting bag. What I always do is slice the meat into cutlets and make turkey marsala. Either way there's not much need to leave the skin on.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience, IfI planned on roasting it whole, I left the skin on. I dries out too much if you don't. Plucking is a job but it's easier if you get at it right away. If you wait til the end of the day to do it, it's a PITA.
I've done my birds on a weber grill several times and they've always turned out good. ! make sure that the coals go around the edge of the grill, not under the bird. I roast it breast down so the juices run into the breast, not out. Also I don't over-cook it. Usually 2 hours is enough. You can over-cook a turkey into jerky.

Nowdays, I justfillet out the breasts and the wings and thighs. Much quicker than plucking. I roastthe breastson the grill or in a dutch oven. I take the wings and thighs and make soup out of them.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

I always skin them. Then I bone all the meat out. I leave the bones in the legs and wings though. Then I marinate them and throw them on the grill. They stay somewhat juicy and tender, and they taste great.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Bush, I have done it both ways and boning out is much easier. If you are going to roast or deep fry the bird then keep the skin on. When I pluck a bird I get as many pans of water boiling as possible. I will pull out the turkey pot and use it boil water. Once the water is boiling I pour it in a cooler or trashcan and then dunk the bird into the water holding the head. The key is to get the quills warm so they will pull out easier without ripping the skin off. Butyou have towatch forkeeping the bird in the water for long periods because it will start cooking it. I keep dunking and pulling the bird out of the water and start plucking away. When it gets tough to pull out the feathers and quills then dunk the bird again. Keep doing it until all the feathers are pulled out. It is a pain and the feathers make a mess too.

Also I don't know of anyone around us that butchers up turkeys. If you find any let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Guys It sounds like I need to leard how to fillet a Turkey
Flip2 If Ifind someone I will let you know.
5 MORE DAYS TO OPENING DAY.

Good luck to all
Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't mess with skinning or plucking them either. A good fillet knife and breast 'em out.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

I don't mess with skinning or plucking them either. A good fillet knife and breast 'em out.
X2
Old 03-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

x3
Old 03-31-2009, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Illegal in Ontario, we can't waste game meat, gotta take the legs.

Quick Reply: Turkey cleaning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.