Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Down

Old 03-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey Down

Turkey Down! This morning I went turkey hunting with John, (a turkey hunting master!) and killed this nice jake. (We think he was about 1.5 years old.)

Story: John, Larry, "Shorty" & I got to our hunting spot at the break of dawn and setup in a tree line with a field to our back and a field in front of us. We setup the decoys in the field in front of us.

After we got settled down John started calling and got about 20 turkeys gobbling! At this point I was pretty excited about this hunt. After about 15 minutes 3 turkeys came flying in overhead. The 3 hens landed about 100 yards from us but didn't come any closer.

Ten minutes later 3 more hens came walking in from the field behind us and walked by within 15 yards! Still no toms or jakes.

After about 20 minutes of nothing happening John decides to go ahead and scout the other fields where we heard some turkeys gobbling. About five minutes after he left, Larry looks behind us, (in the field that was to our back) when he spotted 10 turkeys heading our way! We quickly turned around and got ready for the incoming turkeys. A couple of them were toms and Jakes! Woo-Hoo!

When we finally got in position and all settled down. The turkeys were only 100 yards away and closing the distance fast! When the turkeys got within 30 yards I got ready to shoot. I asked Larry, (who was filming) if he was on the tom to the right that was strutting. He replied he was, but there was a tree in the way, so therefore I couldn't shoot, Then finally Larry could see the Turkey but I couldn't! He was now behind a tree in front of me so AGAIN I couldn't shoot! (Keep in mind this Jake is with 9 other turkeys who are only 20 yards from us and all walking right at us!) When the Jake reached 15 yards, I got the O.K. from Larry.......BANG!........ Turkey down! As soon as I pulled the trigger, the Jake hit the ground and never moved again!

What a great way to start the turkey season! I would like to thank John for taking me out there and guiding me on this awesome turkey hunt!

(Mike left, Larry right)

So what are you guys eating tonight?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Down

Awesome, Killer.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome, congrats on the bird
Old 03-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

Great job on the bird! It doesn't look like he has a jake fan...maybe a two year old bird who just happened to have a short beard?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, sounds like a great hunt!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good job Mike, congrats!!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Spike

that's awesome. season starts next week for me, i can hardly wait.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

WTG!!! Our season doesn't start until May 1st, and I like to see these early success stories and pic's while waiting!!

Quick Reply: Turkey Down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.